Solved. Dreaded 'no oil pressure' after replacing balance shaft seals.

944 Geek

G'day all, I have done the front seal replacements including the oil pump drive gear and now when cranking on starter (no plugs) I can't get oil pressure. It was fine before starting this job.

It's not indication. There is no oil pumping into the oil filter. There is a pool of oil in the filter housing which tells me the relief valve is not stuck open.

I have pulled it all apart again to check the drive gear is engaging which it is as far as I can tell. Also I notice some cars have the drive gear sleeve almost flush but mine sticks out a bit (see pic) It wont go any further in.

I have rechecked the main pulley torque and the acc pulley is on square.

I have primed the oil pump as described in Clark's garage.

Do these cars just not spin fast enough on the starter to pump oil or is it something else?

Any help would be appreciated. I am at a standstill...

Main seal and oil drive gear.jpg

Recently had the same problem.

Plugs out, fuel pump disconnected, crank crank. nothing. Even connected up a manual pressure gauge in case the electric one a dud. Booster pack on battery so kit would spin quicker. Nothing.

Pulled the cover and give the PVR a tap with a drift. Nothing.

Then saw that the PVR spring on another motor I had was shorter (less resistance maybe).  Put that in and Voila. Oil pressure.

Put everything back together and the car started up with good oil pressure.  Pulled the spring and put  the original (longer) spring in. Restarted and no issue. Great pressure at idle and at revs.

Can't really explain why that worked but it did.

14 hours ago, Airhead said:

Recently had the same problem.

Plugs out, fuel pump disconnected, crank crank. nothing. Even connected up a manual pressure gauge in case the electric one a dud. Booster pack on battery so kit would spin quicker. Nothing.

Pulled the cover and give the PVR a tap with a drift. Nothing.

Then saw that the PVR spring on another motor I had was shorter (less resistance maybe).  Put that in and Voila. Oil pressure.

Put everything back together and the car started up with good oil pressure.  Pulled the spring and put  the original (longer) spring in. Restarted and no issue. Great pressure at idle and at revs.

Can't really explain why that worked but it did.

PVR? Do you mean Oil pressure relief valve? I will pull it out and clean it and see what happens.

Okay update. After checking everything 20 times including working out that I have the newer OPRV there was nothing else to do but hold my breath and start her and guess what 2 seconds then oil pressure.

It seems these cars just don't crank fast enough on the starter to build oil pressure.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice!