Hello! Newbie With Import Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been enjoying exploring it for the last few days. There are some great posts and very, very nice cars to drool over here. Looks like a wealth of knowledge too, which hopefully I can tap into...

A bit of background (apologies if it's long-winded!):

I've been looking into importing my Cayenne to Perth, when I move there next July, under the personal import option (I'm a pom currently living in Malaysia, which is where I own the car). The car is a 2010 957 GTS Design Edition 3. It is originally a UK car which was imported to Malaysia in 2012. I have owned it for the last 1.5 years.

My love for Porsche means that I have been trawling the internet to see what is available/affordable in Aus, but after realising how expensive Porsches are, I started looking into bringing my car with me. However, I also get a headache thinking about the potential paperwork/admin/stress/costs involved with importing.

I have read plenty of posts about importing, which have been useful, but I need further answers so I hope you don't mind me asking the following:

1. Is it worth it?

This questions is based on opinion, but I'd like to know yours. I'm still i two minds so I'd like to hear about people's experiences or potential pitfalls that would put me off. Or, it might be a fairly straightforward process...

2. Am I right in thinking I can can import my car, under the personal import option? Am I missing any restrictions?

From what I have researched on the Gov website, I think I can. I have also roughly calculated taxes, and it should avoid LCT.

3. Is trying to sell an imported car a big headache? Do people avoid buying them?

I will eventually sell the car, but I won't import it if I'm going to lose loads of money.

4. Can anyone recommend a good shipping company? I have struggled to find one that goes from Malaysia to Perth.

Any advice, answers or feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!

Oh, and here are a few of photos...I couldn't post without leaving at least one...

DSC_0136.thumb.JPG.2366d4d2ea7adcfe4081416b15a6b370.JPG

DSC_0085.thumb.jpg.2ad2e1e9d15d61f0456d2ca7739c9940.jpg

DSC_0127.thumb.jpg.2334d7f61a39536f7af0c78ddd389928.jpg

DSC_0070.thumb.jpg.bcc680a09e5d2b7bc16cb78113276164.jpg

Do these answer any questions?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-porsche-cayenne-gts-9pa-auto-4x4-my10/SSE-AD-3142847?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-3142847

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-cayenne-gts-9pa-auto-4x4-my10/SSE-AD-5364027?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5364027

On 911-944-928 assume a 20% import discount is expected when selling, not sure on the trucks, but likely similar if your buyers do their research.  

Did you pay import taxes into Malaysia and can you have them refunded upon re-export of the vehicle?

What’s it worth in Malaysia should you sell it there?

What’s its VFD into Oz?

Shipping, clearance and compliance/engineering cost in Oz?

Duties and GST in Oz?

If it’s value in Malaysia is super low then it might make sense (and you can reclaim your original import duties), it’s a complex equation and it kinda smells like it could be false economy unless you’re welded onto the thing!

2 hours ago, KGB said:

Do these answer any questions?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2010-porsche-cayenne-gts-9pa-auto-4x4-my10/SSE-AD-3142847?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-3142847

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-cayenne-gts-9pa-auto-4x4-my10/SSE-AD-5364027?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5364027

On 911-944-928 assume a 20% import discount is expected when selling, not sure on the trucks, but likely similar if your buyers do their research.  

Did you pay import taxes into Malaysia and can you have them refunded upon re-export of the vehicle?

What’s it worth in Malaysia should you sell it there?

What’s its VFD into Oz?

Shipping, clearance and compliance/engineering cost in Oz?

Duties and GST in Oz?

If it’s value in Malaysia is super low then it might make sense (and you can reclaim your original import duties), it’s a complex equation and it kinda smells like it could be false economy unless you’re welded onto the thing!

Thanks for the reply, some good stuff here.

In terms of the adverts, I've been looking and trying to gauge the values. I assume those are Oz cars, not imports? I couldn't see it on the adverts. Two very different prices as well. I did see a Design Edition go for sale at $59K a few months ago, but I assume it was an Oz car and maybe didn't sell for as much as that.

I didn't import it here myself, I bought it from the guy who did, so paid no taxes. I would possibly be able to sell it here without making a loss, but not sure.

What is VFD?

In terms of costs, this is the loose maths I've currently done, which could be way off, hence why it's great to get opinions of experienced people:

Car cost me $30k AUD

Import taxes 15% (I think?) depending on assessed value on arrival, between $4,500 - $9,000

Shipping estimated at between $1000 - $3000

Fees, quarantine, inspections etc quoted around $1300

So best case scenario, I'm in for under $40k. Worst case closer to $50k

Plus i would like to give myself %10 on top of that for unexpected costs, insurance while shipping, etc etc.

At the end of the day, I love the car, but not attached enough to go through hell or lose lots of money on it.

At $50k buy one here no hassles and as you say little to none import cayennes here. If you do import and if you sell it’s going to be worth 10-15% less than an Aussie delivered car. Unfortunately Aussies are very fixated on local delivered cars and will pay a premium......

I have been watching GTS’s and certainly lots available at times in that price range with FSH.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I think the effort is going to end up being more than it should be. 

If it was a 911, I'd be more temped. Plus the dream is to eventually get into a 911 so I might bide my time and see what's possible in the future.

I’ve imported several cars.  Only do it if you can’t bear to let it go, it rarely makes financial sense unless you got something valuable super cheap.  Sadly the cayenne is a depreciating car, not an appreciating one. You should also factor that if you want to use it as personal transport you’ll be without it for possibly months.

Sounds like it might not be worth it from the advice so far. All very valuable so thank you.

It will be interesting to see how much I can get for it here, in Malaysia, if I decide to sell. I think that might be the determining factor depending on the loss.