You've probably all seen the aerial footage of one of Australia's greatest racetracks scenic roads after last week's devastating storms:

(7) Facebook

With around 30 slips in total  around Mt Seaview it was hoped the road would be cleared in a week or two.  

Unfortunately the occurrence of natural asbestos in the slip material and some pesky areas of instability means the clearing will be slow going and probably 6 weeks before the road is open to any through traffic and possibly 3 months before it's back to normal.

Feel particularly sorry for the owner of Gingers Creek roadhouse.

6 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Is the road open to Gingers Creek from this end Peter ?

Yes, all clear from Walcha.

However after Easter they will start loading and hauling the rock debris to the west to dispose of it so lots of truck movements.

11 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Why are they carting it away?  Don’t they have washouts to fill?

It is rife with naturally occurring asbestos

I'm a bit bummed - I've been asked to work up at Armidale for 8 weeks over April and May and was looking forward to having a 'reason' to drive the 996 to work...  All the roads are too damaged to risk the Porsche, so I'll be leaving it at home :(

1 minute ago, Fishcop said:

It is rife with naturally occurring asbestos

So cart it away to make it someone else's problem.

I don’t see the issue.  They disturb it to cart it away, so why not disturb it to fill in a hole and cover it with hotmix 😎

53 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

So cart it away to make it someone else's problem.

I don’t see the issue.  They disturb it to cart it away, so why not disturb it to fill in a hole and cover it with hotmix 😎

The problem is the open scarring and the serpentinite soils open to wind and elements whilst the vegetation comes back.  You really don't want to risk breathing it.

And a bet they resurface with some shit other than a quality hotmix!!

Even if it didn't have asbestos in it it would have to be " appropriately treated " dumped in an epa approved site.

Asbestos will require more " treatment " so more expensive. 

The spoil material from these slips wouldn't be suitable for compaction anyway. Back in the day it would have been used which is why so many roads fail from the base today.

Doesn't get your beautiful road open sooner no.

Wherever I go atm it's the same plus pole holes or jetptach tar so I'm not taking it out.