Batteries

tomo

Just wondering how  long you guys are getting out of your battery  in your 996 after a full charge and no driving ? My battery is 74 A/H recommended is 80A/H me thinks . A Month, Week, or a couple of days . Battery is fairly  new. So fess up how quickly does your 996 suck the life out of it?

My 997 would suck the life out of battery quickly if not used ,,, around 14 days on a fully charged battery if I didnt drive it , If you put it on a trickle charger in between drives you will get long battery life , I got over 4 years out of my last battery on a trickle charger ....I just have one of the CTEK trickle chargers ,I would put it on if I was not using the car every couple days ..

57 minutes ago, tomo said:

Just wondering how  long you guys are getting out of your battery  in your 996 after a full charge and no driving ? My battery is 74 A/H recommended is 80A/H me thinks . A Month, Week, or a couple of days . Battery is fairly  new. So fess up how quickly does your 996 suck the life out of it?

My personal experience is that I neglected a brand new battery and in around six months it was dead and needed to be replaced.  Now my 996 sits on a CTek trickle charger for most of its stationary life.  I have fitted the CTek plug to the battery so its a 5 second job to plug it or unplug it.  I recently left mine parked interstate for a month and it started perfectly when I tried.  So I guess my experience is somewhere between 1 month and 6 months between no problems and failure.

You should get 1 to 2 months out of it if the battery is reasonably new.

My current battery has lasted just over 10Yrs and still turns over the M96 well.

It has had an easy life though and is always on a mtce charger when the car is not in use and never kept at a high float voltage for extended periods.

The battery is actually calcium based unit and I keep it trickle charged to only around 80-90% capacity (ie never fully charged) rather than keeping it at 100% float voltage.

Lead acid batteries really hate being discharged to mid/low capacity levels so ideally you want to keep it on a mtce type charger if you will not be utilising the vehicle for days on end.

I just switched from a Braile AGM battery to a Lithiumax Restart9 battery. Braile would last a maybe 2 weeks without use before being lazy to start.  The Lithiumax seems to be holding charge better/longer so far.

As I am no longer runnign car every day, I have a NOCO charger through the OBD port for when the car isn't used. The Lithuimax is also smaller and much much lighter than the stock battery.

9 hours ago, 911CSR said:

I just switched from a Braile AGM battery to a Lithiumax Restart9 battery. Braile would last a maybe 2 weeks without use before being lazy to start.  The Lithiumax seems to be holding charge better/longer so far.

As I am no longer runnign car every day, I have a NOCO charger through the OBD port for when the car isn't used. The Lithuimax is also smaller and much much lighter than the stock battery.

Cheers  thanks for the info, But how many A/H is  Battery 

Just use your dash voltmeter gauge as a guide.

With ignition ON but not started - your voltmeter should read approx 12v. With the engine running the needle should be up close to 14V if the alternator is working.

Here is the label on my battery - Note that this battery is longer than what was supplied with the vehicle when new.

You can see that this Bosch battery is a 85 Amp Hour unit - I recall that I did go for a larger battery over stock when I fitted this one but it was so long ago that I cannot recall the stock battery specs. All I remember is that I had to use the battery tray's very outer hole (for the clamp) to get it to fit due to the extra length.

QHVIsk.jpg

w9h6pk.jpg

Thanks@Costas yes I see what you mean with the extra length, Good tip with the gauge, Had a electrical hitch at the lock up, The bloody keypad would not open the door so could not get to my tools, My battery is a Varta silver 74 A/H and only 10 months old, 6 a/h short on the recommended 80, Can build and engine blinfolded but bloody electical stuff bloody hopeless , DOH ! The car has been a treat but went flat after 5days with afull charge and a 2 hr drive,  And according to your quick gauge test the battery must be kaput thats promising will get it sorted to day :) 

• 2 weeks later...

My new Ctek charger has reconditioned the battery to it former glory, The culprit was a incorrectly attached terminal,  something I did not think I would have to check after a major service where it says on the invoice "battery and conections checked " Well you can take that with a grain of salt, Back to servicing the car meself .:)