HANS devices

tungatina64

I am seeking comment on HANS devices from those who do track work.

They seem like a good idea, especially when harnesses are installed, as it takes only a low speed accident for your neck to be put at risk.

PCV are considering introducing it as a mandatory requirement.

They cost a bit (around $750) but considering what they do, is cheap insurance.

What do you think?

They are a fantastic idea, you must use a harness for the Hans to work properly as the harness holds the hans against your body. There is also no need to purchase a new helmet as you can buy the helmet clips and have them installed in your current helmet. You can get the hans a little cheaper overseas.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/hans-devices/schroth-sport-hans-device

regards

Sean

Beat me to it Uncle, they seem quite reasonably priced too

Don't rush - there is more to a Hans device than first meets the eye

it is well worth going to this link:

http://www.msar.co.uk/detail.asp?p=148&o=20http://www.msar.co.uk/detail.asp?p=148&o=20

Not only is this a good price of a product from a good manufacturer, but if you scroll down the page there is a video explaining how to correctly choose which Hans device as they come in different degrees of head angle dependent upon your seating configuration, - and they also come in different sizes depending upon your neck size.

I'm about to order a harness and a Hans together with a mate and they have offered a 10% discount for us ordering together even though they will ship to our individual addresses.  If you like I can give you the direct contact email and I'm pretty sure that they will give you the same deal

Yesterday, I spoke with Tony Dunn of Stand 21.  Fantastic service, he came to my home with various models and explained the differences.  His advice is that the Schroth devices being sold at a low price (see my earlier post) are being discontinued and are discounted to sell the old stock prior to the launch of a changed product.  He sat me in the car and we tried different devices (20 degr is the go) and the difference between the older types and the latest is one of comfort, with his older type being taller at the rear and tending to limit movement.  I found his middle of the range device lighter by about 25%, more comfortable, and to me, worth the extra money that they cost.  Remember that most suppliers seem to have a price for the device and then you pay extra for the hardware to fix it to your helmet.

Also, don't kid yourself.  It is possibly a pain in the 4ss to put on, depending upon whether you tend to put your helmet on inside the car or not.  If, like me, you can't see the seat buckle when your helmet is on, and you get into the car, buckle up and then put the helmet on, it is a fiddle. 

Ask yourself:  Are you in the car or out of it when kitting up?  Do you put the Hans device on, then put your helmet on and fiddle with the clips of the Hans somewhere at the back of your head?  Do you couple the helmet to the Hans and then put the entire shebang on?  Can you do that in the car?

Stand 21 (and possibly others too, I don't know) have a quick release coupling from the Hans to the Helmet.  I've not see this yet.

My 2c worth

Yesterday, I spoke with Tony Dunn of Stand 21.  Fantastic service, he came to my home with various models and explained the differences.  His advice is that the Schroth devices being sold at a low price (see my earlier post) are being discontinued and are discounted to sell the old stock prior to the launch of a changed product.  He sat me in the car and we tried different devices (20 degr is the go) and the difference between the older types and the latest is one of comfort, with his older type being taller at the rear and tending to limit movement.  I found his middle of the range device lighter by about 25%, more comfortable, and to me, worth the extra money that they cost.  Remember that most suppliers seem to have a price for the device and then you pay extra for the hardware to fix it to your helmet.

Also, don't kid yourself.  It is possibly a pain in the 4ss to put on, depending upon whether you tend to put your helmet on inside the car or not.  If, like me, you can't see the seat buckle when your helmet is on, and you get into the car, buckle up and then put the helmet on, it is a fiddle. 

Ask yourself:  Are you in the car or out of it when kitting up?  Do you put the Hans device on, then put your helmet on and fiddle with the clips of the Hans somewhere at the back of your head?  Do you couple the helmet to the Hans and then put the entire shebang on?  Can you do that in the car?

Stand 21 (and possibly others too, I don't know) have a quick release coupling from the Hans to the Helmet.  I've not see this yet.

My 2c worth

thankyou for your comments.

i tried on an older model (which I have now ordered) that a mate has. I had my car with me so i could ask similar questions that you have raised. it is a bit fiddly, however for safety sake, worth it.

Hi Everyone,

Here is the information and picture of the Club Series HANS purchased by sydr, more than happy to discuss any questions you have regarding HANS devices.

Cheers Tony

The 20 degree Club Series device has been developed to offer a more economical HANS for the clubman competitor for use in rallying and saloon car racing. While more economical this version offers all the safety standards of the more expensive versions but at a more cost-effective price.

The Club Series device is manufactured from plastic in an injection moulded construction, but unlike other plastic HANS/Schroth Sportsman Devices (1250grms) and Defnder(1200grms) on the market it weighs in at a much lighter 950gm's, some 30% lighter.

The Club Series is FIA homologated and uses a new moulded chest yokes which dramatically improves comfort, as these now fit around your collar bone giving a more snug fit, when you consider it being held tightly in position by your harness. This is the only HANS device that has this comfort feature. With its much narrowed upright back it allows a more positive fitment of your seatbelts, thus making it easier to setup in the confines of the cars cockpit before stage or race starts. This device comes as standard with sliding tethers offering the user full head rotation when connected to a helmet.

S21_Club_I_zps7deb9335.jpg

Be interested to hear your comments after PI this weekend.

I wore mine at PI today. Was quite comfortable and didn't impact on my ability to drive the car. Bit tricky to take them on and off in the car, but easy outside. Interestingly i chatted to a few other guys who were wearing them for the first time.

Archived