Roof Leak 3.2 911

davidtran

G'day guys,

Long time lurker, first time really posting. 

I purchased my 1986 3.2 about 7 years ago and it doesn't get driven in the rain at all. Usually just quick detailer and a microfibre cloth. Come to think of it, I don't think I've washed the car since I bought it.

I gave it a very wash about a week ago and once I got into the car I noticed the drivers footwell was soaked in water. I dried it out very quickly and looked for the leak, but couldn't find anything that stood out?

Hoping some of you gurus will be able to point me in the right direction with some trouble shooting. 

Thank you in advance

David

For some time I had a leak I couldn’t find the source of, replaced windscreen seal, replaced door seals and checked sunroof drains but still issues, my floor carpet would get soaked on one side.

Turns out it was coming in from behind the door card, around where the speaker sits.  I redid plastic sheet protection behind the door card and made up plastic flaps to sit over the speakers which deflected the water that comes down between the window into the door drain holes.

It may not be your issue but worth checking, solved my problem. Maybe stuff some paper towel into the base of the door and give it a sprinkle from the outside to see if it gets wet.

On 24/04/2021 at 18:05, davidtran said:

it doesn't get driven in the rain at all. Usually just quick detailer and a microfibre cloth

Thought I was the only one that did this. Only washed it once in my ownership after picking her up from the Ceva Depot.

Regular water user here as its often covered in squashed bugs.

Also enjoy driving it in the rain and on dirt roads. 

Just take care to dry the bottom corners of the window openings and leave the frunk lid open and dry around the seal as they hold moisture.  Also take care to clean away any mud /gravel that accumulates in the front of the rear mudguards.  Fishoil/wax the body shell box sections, especially the front cross member, and under the battery, make sure all the body grommets are in place, make sure the battery vent tube is in place, the door drain holes are clear and I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

A squirt of Aquawax is used to dry off the duco too if it has been washed rather than just got wet.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

Red one New England National Parks.JPG

I gave it a very wash about a week ago and once I got into the car I noticed the drivers footwell was soaked in water. I dried it out very quickly and looked for the leak, but couldn't find anything that stood out?

Hoping some of you gurus will be able to point me in the right direction with some trouble shooting. 

Not a guru but the first thing I would check is that the black corrugated plastic tube that drains the ventilation plenum has not become dislodged from the fresh air blower box.

G'day guys,

Long time lurker, first time really posting. 

I purchased my 1986 3.2 about 7 years ago and it doesn't get driven in the rain at all. Usually just quick detailer and a microfibre cloth. Come to think of it, I don't think I've washed the car since I bought it.

Thank you in advance

David

Did you try one of those smoke producing devices?  That are good for finding leaky seals. If it is the heater core then that is another ball game.