996 and 997 3.6 Motor Compatibility

997Phantom

Hi All, I am new to this forum and the Porsche world

I recently purchased a 2005 997 Carrera 4 off a friend with a blown motor (IMS failure). A few hundred kms before that happened, they spend a packet of money on new parts for the engine but neglected the IMS bearing.

My questions is, would the 3.6 motor from a 2003 996 bolt in with a few modifications? If so what is needed and can any parts necessary be taken off the old motor? Reason I ask is I know someone with this motor at a good price and very low kms so I thought it would be worthwhile asking.

Thanks in advance!

This is right off the top of my head (so maybe bs!) and it is probably different in each state, but I recall reading once that while you can put a newer motor (i.e. from a car manufactured after the recipient car) into an older car, you can't put an older motor into a newer car. Might be worth checking up on that first.

Check  out what @JWM  has said about the engine swap rules, But the motor would fit with out much drama.

But if possible you be better off with the original motor.

19 hours ago, 997Phantom said:

Hi All, I am new to this forum and the Porsche world

I recently purchased a 2005 997 Carrera 4 off a friend with a blown motor (IMS failure). A few hundred kms before that happened, they spend a packet of money on new parts for the engine but neglected the IMS bearing.

My questions is, would the 3.6 motor from a 2003 996 bolt in with a few modifications? If so what is needed and can any parts necessary be taken off the old motor? Reason I ask is I know someone with this motor at a good price and very low kms so I thought it would be worthwhile asking.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a great candidate for an LS1 conversion :) I know, Heathen!! 😝

16 hours ago, JWM said:

This is right off the top of my head (so maybe bs!) and it is probably different in each state, but I recall reading once that while you can put a newer motor (i.e. from a car manufactured after the recipient car) into an older car, you can't put an older motor into a newer car. Might be worth checking up on that first.

Thats JWM, I'll look into that first!

15 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Hi, when you say blown do you mean destroyed as hole in the block and unable to rotate or noisy rattly.

Unfortunately it has blown a hole in the block

@997Phantom I think it should fit, but the wiring harness pinout is different even though the connectors are the same. Which will probably need a 996 ECU which might then cause other problems.

Not saying it can't be done, you might just be chasing your tail for awhile swapping components and doing some modifications.

I'm not sure why you would want to go backwards anyway unless your 997 actually did have the M96. M97 motors have a few differences which can be seen as advantageous such as the the mechanical vacuum pump, oil management system (albeit the ability to use a dipstick) and improved timing.

Thanks @Mike737

As my 997 is not an "S" I am led to believe it has the M96 motor (M97 is reserved for the S models right ?) I would much rather stick with the same motor that came out of it but I think I might have to start looking overseas as I'm struggling to find one in Australia that isn't over the top price-wise

Cheers

On 14/05/2021 at 10:20, 997Phantom said:

As my 997 is not an "S" I am led to believe it has the M96 motor (M97 is reserved for the S models right ?)

Not true, M97's were available in 05 for non S cars. Are you able to take a look? It will be stamped on a metal plate right next to your sump like in this image on the left/passenger side of the engine.

Maybe one of the reasons why the IMS wasn't serviced is because it had the non serviceable IMS bearing which indicates an M97. The M97 can still have the ims replaced or solution installed though, but it's no longer as simple a job. Since the M97 has the better bearing though, the general consensus is it's smarter to remove the grease seal and let the engine oil lubricate it and make sure you regularly change your oil.

448430d1275597835-engine-number-stamp-en

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, 997Phantom said:

@Mike737 I had the motor sitting in a warehouse so it I only just got a chance to looks at. Unfortunately the engine number starts with M96..... Thanks for your help though, you had me hopeful it was a M97. Would a M97 be a straight forward (ish) bolt in? Cheers

If your blown motor is a M96 then in theory you should be able to straight swap in any 996 3.6 engine. You can also service that IMS bearing at the same time or go for a solution which is a lot easier than the M97.

M97 into a 997 should bolt in, but I'm not sure about wiring harness and ECU compatibility in these between years if it previously had a M96. I'd be having a chat to some of the more knowledgeable and enthusiast workshops around the country since they will have done it before and will be able to give you a better idea of what you're getting yourself into.

21 hours ago, 997Phantom said:

I will do some research to find an enthusiast workshop here in Adelaide.

I wouldn't just talk to places in Adelaide. It may cost you an extra grand or so to ship the car, but it's better to find a shop which has got it down pat and can give you a final number range instead of just an estimate, which could easily blow out by another 5-10k.

23 hours ago, 997Phantom said:

@Mike737 Appreciate you following up again mate, that gives me a way to move forward. I will do some research to find an enthusiast workshop here in Adelaide. Cheers

Ask @LeeM  who  to see , I think he has a fair knowledge of were to findstuff in Adelade.