Wanted - 993 hardback sport seats

Crayon GT3

Just fyi the sports seats (non hardback) are actually superb....my wife and I did 4700km in them in 10 days recently across both touring and some rather spirited roads and came away super impressed.  Good luck with the search - the hard backs do look super cool.  

On 15/07/2021 at 17:28, mc968cs said:

Just fyi the sports seats (non hardback) are actually superb....my wife and I did 4700km in them in 10 days recently across both touring and some rather spirited roads and came away super impressed.  Good luck with the search - the hard backs do look super cool.  

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't sat in the softbacks but I have tried the hardbacks which I liked. The comfort seats in mine are too soft for me (and could probably do with new seat foam). If have no luck with hardbacks I'll definitely investigate them further (if anyone has any then please let me know).

I know I can order some HBs from LA dismantler or from the guy in Germany but I'd rather stay local at this point.

2 hours ago, njb said:

I've been on the search for these for probably a year now, the LA Dismantlers guys don't have them and I think I've asked them every 3 months with no luck.

njb, hope you are well and safe. LA Dismantlers are 'interesting'. Check out the thread with Laura on Rennlist...

Search for turbo seats on Instagram (email is 993turboseats@gmail.com). The guy produces hardback seats so check it out. However (and there's always a however) you should check out the threads on Rennlist. There's one poster who had dramas getting seats and in the end a refund. That said there's a bunch of supportive posts about the guy who makes them and the product. They look really good as you can see from the photo. That said, at the moment I'm looking at the Cobra Nogaro, super customisable, painted backs and direct 993 fit...

https://www.cobraseats.com/seats.html?pid=24&cid=3

B0B53316-D4E9-4191-A43D-CFC16CDE193D.jpeg

1 hour ago, njb said:

Will do. Do you happen to know if the manual hard backs sit lower than the electric version? Having trouble locating this info.

I have to say I don't know. The seat rails look the same to me in the pics I have seen on the interweb though....

He replied to me after a few days. $10k AUD and 5+ months lead time. I presume that means $11k inc GST when it comes into the country, maybe more if there’s duty.

Lot of money when I like, but don’t love, the car.

39 minutes ago, njb said:

He replied to me after a few days. $10k AUD and 5+ months lead time. I presume that means $11k inc GST when it comes into the country, maybe more if there’s duty.

Lot of money when I like, but don’t love, the car.

(10k plus freight x 10% GST) x 5% duty so call it around $13k landed. For me it makes more sense to look at the Cobra Nogaros with painted backs or the Recaro classic PP or LS or LX. All Tuv approved and can be customised. I'm going to look at the Cobras, ordering direct from the manufacturer. I'll post how I get in with them but the Rennlist and BMW forums are positive....

You’re right, I’m ok with overpaying on an impulse purchase but 5 months isn’t all that impulsive. Have you sat in a Cobra though? The reason I love the hardbacks is because I know them, used them, and have a set in another car which alleviates all doubt.

For these cars (964/993), here’s my opinion on the options, for street, in cars that I own or have spent a lot of time with;

- 964 Sports Seats awesome in my ‘74 MFI, but a tad too high in the 993 (I’m 6,1… but spouse loves them)

- 993 RS hard backs, perfect 

- 964 RS PP, awesome (spouse probably not a fan)

- 993 TT comfort seats, not great on long trips due to no lumber although I did add it

So, for me, I’d likely buy the HB for 10k+ and quickly have a stiff drink after, or the PP (about to have these fitted to a 964).

There’s apparently a local guy selling the 993 HB seats but asking 14k. That seems a bit nuts, or opportunistic, and I doubt it’s an RS manual frame - so if I was determined for another HB 993 set up, I’d likely import.

3 minutes ago, njb said:

You’re right, I’m ok with overpaying on an impulse purchase but 5 months isn’t all that impulsive. Have you sat in a Cobra though? The reason I love the hardbacks is because I know them, used them, and have a set in another car which alleviates all doubt.

For these cars (964/993), here’s my opinion on the options, for street, in cars that I own or have spent a lot of time with;

- 964 Sports Seats awesome in my ‘74 MFI, but a tad too high in the 993 (I’m 6,1… but spouse loves them)

- 993 RS hard backs, perfect 

- 964 RS PP, awesome (spouse probably not a fan)

- 993 TT comfort seats, not great on long trips due to no lumber although I did add it

So, for me, I’d likely buy the HB for 10k+ and quickly have a stiff drink after, or the PP (about to have these fitted to a 964).

There’s apparently a local guy selling the 993 HB seats but asking 14k. That seems a bit nuts, or opportunistic, and I doubt it’s an RS manual frame - so if I was determined for another HB 993 set up, I’d likely import.

I'm with you, the wait is the key for me too. Available tomorrow and I might pull the trigger....

I have LWB in my GT3 and they are awesome, my favorite seats by miles. I have looked at the measurements on the Cobras and they're quite similar. The seat pads are also interchangeable and the pump up lumbar is cheap so its an option.

My comfort seats need work, mainly new foam and a couple of scrapes to tidy but I don't love them and with the work done I still won't. There are all sorts of replicas out there on the 993/964 hardbacks (Carbone in Poland & https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD521964993002/rs-replica-seat-set-964-993-leather-light-blue-dark-blue-inserts-includes-adapters.html ) but there's no Tuv and I haven't seen reviews so I am loathe to go that road. IMO Local 14k HBs is a bit ambitious unless they're straight from the Porsche Museum.

I like PP too and maybe I'll do that and put the comforts in storage, I can refit them if I ever move the car on...

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

Thank you very much,I'll check them out. Had not seen them yet as had spent the day scrubbing wheel arches on my newly acquired 993. The things we do for fun!

The Kid says

I managed to find a set in Australia after a three year search and the wait was worth it!

I believe they were a circa 13K option back in the day so not many 993's even Turbos were fitted with them. They look uber cool and are very supportive however they are very heavy compared to the standard seat so in that regard they are the antithesis of the  current crop of fixed sports seats one can option in the GT cars.

That said the lift the whole interior to a higher level especially when coupled with the NOS Tequipment handbrake and gear shifter I managed to track down after another exhaustive search.

I've include a pick of the interior of my 993 C2S with the seats.

Black on Cashmere interior simply stunning!

As a compromise I believe there is a kit to fit 996/997 sports seats in a 964/993.

Good luck on your quest!!!

IMG_0296 (1).JPG

12 hours ago, Okrasa Kid said:

The Kid says

I managed to find a set in Australia after a three year search and the wait was worth it!

I believe they were a circa 13K option back in the day so not many 993's even Turbos were fitted with them. They look uber cool and are very supportive however they are very heavy compared to the standard seat so in that regard they are the antithesis of the  current crop of fixed sports seats one can option in the GT cars.

That said the lift the whole interior to a higher level especially when coupled with the NOS Tequipment handbrake and gear shifter I managed to track down after another exhaustive search.

I've include a pick of the interior of my 993 C2S with the seats.

Black on Cashmere interior simply stunning!

As a compromise I believe there is a kit to fit 996/997 sports seats in a 964/993.

Good luck on your quest!!!

IMG_0296 (1).JPG

That's a great looking interior, congratulations! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the seats. I am looking at the 996/7 HBs too as those will work for me. I'm not too worried about the weight of the seats as they'll balance out the sunroof 😀 I have the Tequipment handbrake and gear shift too which the first owner had fitted from new (and the mint originals came with the car), they really do look great! Just added a 3 spoke wheel too which I really like compared to the four spoke. I'll pop a couple of pics up later today.