5 digit speedos in the 911

withers

I thought I'd start a new thread for this, as I didn't want it to get lost amongst my other threads.

One of the 1975 Targa 2.7s I'm looking at has a 5 digit speedo.  Seems to be the only car I've noticed so far for sale that isn't 6 digits. Albeit, if theres not a good photo showing the speedo I may have missed this in other adverts.

When did Porsche start putting 6 digit speedos in their cars?

Is it bad for resale to buy a car that you can't verify it's exact mileage? 

I would think any car older than 15 years that doesn't have supporting documentation to confirm history, you could be somewhat suspect of the cars exact mileage. Is that a reasonable expectation for me to have? Obviously computerised later model cars are harder to fudge, but I'm sure clever outside the box thinking can still achieve dodgyness especially when there is money to be earnt!

P.S - the 5 digit speedo is in a UK import if that means anything

Ok, I may well be wrong.

From what I know it was something that started in the late 70s/early 80s.

It seems porsche was using up the parts bin, as cars in different parts of the world changed in different years.

Thus, no particular date on when the whole thing was changed over.

I know the 944s had the 6, not sure on the 924(anyone ?)

This may give us an around about date.

Hope someone can add more.

Jnr ?

5 Digit Speedos stopped when the Porsche started using Electronic speedos (Model year 1976) However there were some exceptions for example sportomatic cars still used 5digit mechanical speedos until the end of 1977.

All P Cars from 1978 MY (911SC, 930 etc) used 6 didgit electronic VDO units from this time. Manual optioned from factory 911 started using them sometime starting in 1976.

Thanks, Wasser.

Nice work.  :)

My pleasure

Cool. Thanks guys!!  So if I see anything other than a 5 digit in a pre '76 car that means it's been updated at some point?

Yes. Pre 76 Cars should have mechanical 5 digit speedos, however its not a deal breaker if it hasn't. Its just been upgraded, the only risk is clarity around mileage of the subject vehcile which should be able to be verified by history and provenance.

Wasser, you are a world of information!

I spend alot of time reading. I retain this useless shite for some reason and forget my PIN for my access card. Glad to know it comes in handy.....

Ohhhh Kerry, what speedo do you have in your '75???

he should have a 5 digit mechanical speedo.

Archived