buying car on historic rego interstate - issues?

Hi PFA members,

I'm considering a car that is on historic rego/plates in Vic. I live in Sydney - has anyone have advice/experience on any major issues getting car registered in NSW (either on normal or historic rego)? are there different rules in each state as to how it qualifies for historic rego?

TIA

19 minutes ago, PorschePete said:

Hi PFA members,

I'm considering a car that is on historic rego/plates in Vic. I live in Sydney - has anyone have advice/experience on any major issues getting car registered in NSW (either on normal or historic rego)? are there different rules in each state as to how it qualifies for historic rego?

TIA

To go on historic/Club rego in Vic the car must go through a Vic roads RWC the same as normal rego, So you would think the car would be RWC with a current certicate.

I think Vic might be 25 yrs and older vs NSW 30 years. Worth checking if the car is <30 yrs old. 
In NSW you may need a blue slip - check TfNSW website - rules are clear there.  If the car is in any way modified away from anything factory, it needs to go on the classics register and will definitely need a blue slip. Just not sure about historic transfer. 
Good luck!

1 hour ago, SteveF said:

I purchased my 924 from VIC last year and from memory just got a pink slip then put it onto historic rego via a club. It was pretty easy. I'm in North West Sydney so PM me if  you need details on a club.

Yep same. Purchased an Adelaide car that was on historic and all I did in NSW is pink slip. Sent that and $100 to a club I was told about in upper Nth shore (I’m sure We use the same club) and they completed all the docs via email and mailed me the final originals which I took to service NSW and rego done. Pretty simple. 
if I wanted full rego it was going to be much harder would entail blue slip and in my case an engineers report.

12 hours ago, icu_jimmy said:

I think Vic might be 25 yrs and older vs NSW 30 years. Worth checking if the car is <30 yrs old. 
In NSW you may need a blue slip - check TfNSW website - rules are clear there.  If the car is in any way modified away from anything factory, it needs to go on the classics register and will definitely need a blue slip. Just not sure about historic transfer. 
Good luck!

ah ok  - good to know! dammit - its 25 ish years so no go on NSW historic then! So basically it would have to go onto full rego then? So it would need a blue slip?

The car is largely stock except for a after market exhaust (silencers only). Would this pose any issues in getting a blue slip in NSW?

thanks all for guidance and help so far😊

Yes you will need to go on full rego as under 30 years in NSW. You will definitely need a pink slip but not sure about a blue slip. I found this on the GIO site about the difference but perhaps double check with the club you are looking at registering through. As I mentioned I am pretty sure I only needed the pink slip.

image.thumb.png.8958d425e47f2e021869459f5ca504ec.png
https://www.gio.com.au/faqs/ctp-insurance/difference-between-pink-and-blue-slip.html

If you're buying the car from another state (regardless of rego there), it is considered unregistered in nsw when it enters.  To gain full registration you will then need a blue slip.  If you wish to go down the club route (sounds like not an option in this case) you may get away with a pink slip but it will depend on the club (I've used blue slips for the club route in the past).  Assume a blue slip and go from there.  Get a copy of current interstate rego papers (even if they're club) to hand over the counter at service nsw when you get your first rego (ie after blue slip and green slip).  It doesn't count for a whole lot but sometimes there are gcm discrepancies or other details different on databases and if you have a copy of the old rego papers it sometimes makes life a bit easier for the person on the other side of the counter.