Classic.com market data discussion

So I was looking for something Porsche related to read last night and came across classic.com which tracks the value of all (the ones I could think of) sold in the US, UK and ROW (even some Aussie sales data sometimes).

Link for an example for 911SC coupe values Porsche 911 SC Coupe Market - CLASSIC.COM with chart example included in this post.  

Value trends go back 5 years and show each captured sale and a calculated average market place value for the model you are looking at.  Also shows transaction frequency.

My takeaway after looking at various models:

- Price increases haven't been as steep with many models as I was expecting

- I was surprised which models seemed to have increased in value more than some others 

- Sales frequency has certainly picked up since COVID .. lots more transactions than previously.

- Some models have flatlined or decreased since 2017

Intereested in hearing other thoughts on the data!

911SC Value Graph.JPG

Interesting - but only from a worldwide perspective.

(Thanks for posting this as I am enjoying looking up my other favourite makes)

We all know that in Australia, 911 SCs have easily  doubled / tripled in price over the past 5 years. The old benchmark used to be Austin Healy prices which haven't moved much IMO and SC prices are about the same now.

This information probably appeals to "investors" more than traditional owner/drivers. Present these figures to your Accountant &/or Bank Manager, if shes a girl.

Agree that the charts I've looked at don't reflect what seems to be happening here.  You'd think that Australia would share similar demographics to the US and UK markets, with the trends being similar.  Perhaps our market is more tied to our national property prices?  Even though, once again, my understanding is that property boomed all over the world. 

Also, when I look at UK P-car prices they don't seem like a red hot bargain ... that said, the primary driver for the data seems to be from the US.   

Not that I'm in the P-car market at the moment, however it would give be reason to pause if I was looking a putting considerable $$ into a car atm. 

6 hours ago, 911virgin said:

i think the supply of 911's in uk and usa would far exceed oz

demand?  who knows

I think that the US market would certainly have more cars and therefore more data points.  Seems that most of the cars used for the data were auctions sales ... this may explain the 'lower prices'.

I just find it amazing that compared to 2017 prices, I would think most Porsches in Australia have increased significantly in value (let's say conservatively 2x).  Only a few cars in the data sample reflect anything like that.

Few potential reason I can see for the difference:

- Australia has been less affected by COVID, therefore market stronger

- Australia has more interest in Porsche / classic cars.

- Australia's population growth over the time period has far exceeded everywhere else

- Australia's Porsche's were previously under priced compared to the world market.

- Australian's have more disposable income comparatively to 5 years ago

- Might be that we have an incorrect perception of the strength of Australia's Porsche market

I was of the impression that Porsche prices had gone crazy right around the world .... I don't think you could say that if the data in classics.com is accurate.