help needed

Arne Krix

got this failure message on my dash , temperature gauge now stays at zero with red light flashing. 2008 Cayman. Coolant system is full , i Don't think the car is losing water. Would it be a fair assumption the sensor has failed , and i am save driving car to the workshop? Thank you in advance for any advise.

poo2.jpg

Hey mate, have you got an OBD2 sensor or access to one? Throw it and get the readout and see if it points to the temp sensor (P3081).
If it points to the sensor and nothing is leaking and a quick visual inspection of everything looks good, it probably is a sensor if its not reading any temps.
At that point it is probably safe to drive it short distances without much worry, but if you do have access to a tow truck then use it.

If you're confident with a wrench it shouldn't be too difficult a job to do either.

Hopefully you'll have it back on the road by the weekend.

5 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Probably should have called out that when I said drive short distances, I meant short distances since your radiator fans wont turn on since they aren't sensing any temperature if it is your sensor.

thank you for the info. Greatly appreciated. After everything today became fn lemon difficult ( even a tow truck to the workshop was a no go ) , I tackle the replacement myself and see if that will do the job.👍 

Wow , managed to replace the Coolant Temp sensor and learned a few things.:

How to , and how not to remove your carpet and trim . My Indie shop had no trouble to advise me to drive there for them to have a look. ( 45 minute drive). After all the information and tips I gathered , that advise could have resulted in me killing my engine. Not sure how I feel about that. Tow trucks are booked for days on end. 

Part picked up  from Porsche , 3 x as expensive than original part online. Got some advise from the guy at Doncaster;" We have to order the securing clip from Germany", if you need to finish the job today , reuse your existing clip. Whatever you do , don't loose your clip". Great advise , of course the first thing I did when I tried to take the clip of , I bloody lost it in the engine. After jacking up the car ,  removing the under carriage , the clip turned up . With only one finger cut , finished and cleaned , and went for a test drive. The aweful failure message was there , as well as the red flashing light and a menacing red exclamation mark. Temperature needle  would not move at all. Just about when I was ready to admit defeat , the car reset , message disappeared , correct temperature reading, all good , all fixed. Happy.☺️