Ouch - IMS Bearing lets go on video

withers

I can see you have a macabre interest in this issue Amanda! You probably have a whole folder full of carnage pics too  B) What concerns me is what appears to be a number of problems which can lead to the common denominator of the IMS grenade. What attracted me to the SC was these cars were described as bulletproof. If serviced properly , if driven often , if chain tensioners fixed (I had to do mine just after purchase). Just fix the ifs and you can sleep at night - and roar during the day. 

I can see you have a macabre interest in this issue Amanda! You probably have a whole folder full of carnage pics too B) What concerns me is what appears to be a number of problems which can lead to the common denominator of the IMS grenade. What attracted me to the SC was these cars were described as bulletproof. If serviced properly , if driven often , if chain tensioners fixed (I had to do mine just after purchase). Just fix the ifs and you can sleep at night - and roar during the day.

No not at all. Chatting to Niko earlier about the Boxster, I headed over to 986forum to look at pics. Scrolled down first page and saw the post above. Was like a train crash - couldn't look away!

I do not have one pic saved! I'm not a madwoman!

Edit- I just wanted to apologise to anyone that might be sick of this subject. Just occurred to me that anyone who this could affect, might be like UGH NOT AGAIN. I'll not mention it again if that helps.

:)

Amanda , the more I read the more pleased I am with my voiture ancienne http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/porsches-deadly-sin-1-1999-porsche-911-996-3-4/#more-362011 some interesting and insightful comments about German cars.

It's an interesting read for sure :)

voiture ancienne = old car teehee I had to google that!

What model Boxsters are affected by the IMS problem? are the 2008 987.1 3,4litre engines affected?

What upgrades are required to prevent the issue?

All model year 1997-2008 Boxster, Cayman, and 911 models can suffer from IMS failures, with exception of Turbo, GT2, or GT3 models.

See http://www.imsretrofit.com/ims-101/

The likelihood is small for the later models , from what I can deduce.

• 1 month later...

What price for peace of mind? We purchased a 2001 Boxster S & after 3months ownership decided to have the IMS replaced. It was like an insurance policy. It may never break, but if it does it was about $15-$20K for a replacement engine.

Cost for the IMS &clutch/pp & DMF $3500.

Money well spent.

If the engine had blown & with Boxster prices reasonably cheapish, what would you get for one with blown engine???

Archived