Next generation base models to be turbo charged

smule

Reading last week about Porsche dropping the traditional manual gearbox and this mornings article about turbocharging all models except GT3 & GTS makes you wonder is this the next major shift in evolution...

Whilst I eventually come around to most things im still shuddering at the thought of a 2.7 turbocharged carrera.... i'm sure I'll get over it eventually :)

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/porsche-turns-to-turbos-20130218-2ely9.html

All BMW M Cars will be turbo'd soon.  The high point of atmo engines is behind us.  Where once a Turbo was a very special thing, now everything from your citycar to your interstate truck will have a snail on it.   It's so bad nowadays that I don't think any BMW has an honest boot badge that I am aware of (same goes for Benz as well, I think).  If you buy a 528i you might foolishly think you're getting a 2.8 litre straight six, but in fact you're getting a turbo 4. 

While I love turbo power, the shame of it is that the modern turbos are really just flat torque diesel-like engines that go from the get go.  Yes, they're flexible and powerful but they lack the mid-to-top end shove of an old-school turbo install or peaky atmo engine.  And the exhaust sounds terrible in just about all cases.  The best you can hope for is a baritone bellow with a whistle overlaid.  The worst sounds like a VK commodore under hard acceleration - roughly like a dyson with a sock half caught in it. 

It's only a matter of time before you get a synthetic exhaust note piped in over the stereo of your Porsche, ala BMW M5.  And then it will get worse when you can choose the type of exhaust to listen to.

"Porsche’s most driver-focused 911 variants will be the only models not powered by a turbocharged engine when the latest version of the iconic sportscar receives its mid-cycle upgrade in 2016."

So does that mean the entry point cars will be "least" driver focussed. Betcha it won't come in a manual either!!

Archived