Better Bodies Motorsport Design (GT3TEK)

Mttel

Been looking at 996 GT3 side skirts to put on a 996.1 C2 and the best I can find is some Aerokit2 landed for circa Aud $2k+ a bit for import fees etc.

BBMD have polyurethane skirts for about half that and for similar money could get the full kit including front lip and rear diffuser.

From online research they seem to be regularly recommended on overseas forums and their products described as a good fit with little work required.

Seeing if any Aussies have experience with products, in particular the front lip and rear diffuser. What do they look like in the flesh, alright or a bit naff as they are a part cover the bumpers. Is there much of a gap at the connecting line?

15 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Been looking at 996 GT3 side skirts to put on a 996.1 C2 and the best I can find is some Aerokit2 landed for circa Aud $2k+ a bit for import fees etc.

BBMD have polyurethane skirts for about half that and for similar money could get the full kit including front lip and rear diffuser.

From online research they seem to be regularly recommended on overseas forums and their products described as a good fit with little work required.

Seeing if any Aussies have experience with products, in particular the front lip and rear diffuser. What do they look like in the flesh, alright or a bit naff as they are a part cover the bumpers. Is there much of a gap at the connecting line?

I've just ordered the BBMD GT3Tek ones.  We'll see how they work out, but have you checked out the fibreglass ones being sold on FB market place at the moment?

Yes I have seen those and registered interest to purchase but haven’t had a definitive reply. It’s a 996.2 front bumper so could only use the skirts

Bit nervous with fibreglass and it’s robustness long term as the most likely first contact point.

On 09/07/2022 at 18:58, TwoHeadsTas said:

I've just ordered the BBMD GT3Tek ones.  We'll see how they work out, but have you checked out the fibreglass ones being sold on FB market place at the moment?

THT be really interested to get your assessment (quality and fit) of these when they land.

2 hours ago, Mttel said:

THT be really interested to get your assessment (quality and fit) of these when they land.

Payment got sorted yesterday, Paypal was being a pain.  Yep, will be interesting, Craig was fairly happy with the fit of his ducktail, so hope all will be OK.  Ducktail is glass and probably need some fettling to fit, but hopefully the polyurethane of the skirts and front lip will be a straight 3M tape on - have you checked out the Youtube clips for this?  Looks pretty straight forward.....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Payment got sorted yesterday, Paypal was being a pain.  Yep, will be interesting, Craig was fairly happy with the fit of his ducktail, so hope all will be OK.  Ducktail is glass and probably need some fettling to fit, but hopefully the polyurethane of the skirts and front lip will be a straight 3M tape on - have you checked out the Youtube clips for this?  Looks pretty straight forward.....

As with all fibreglass aftermarket car products, they can do with some fettling if your focus is on even gaps.

The 996 ducktail is a good fit but for the retentive-type owner could have required additional minor fibreglass work. For me, I was comfortable that it met my requirements and other than having it painted had it installed as delivered. 😎

3 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

but hopefully the polyurethane of the skirts and front lip will be a straight 3M tape on - have you checked out the Youtube clips for this?  Looks pretty straight forward.....

That’s definitely part of the attraction, on YouTube   they definitely make it look quite easy to fit. Couple of the forums suggest checking that it is genuine 3M tape and swapping if it’s not.

54 minutes ago, Mttel said:

That’s definitely part of the attraction, on YouTube   they definitely make it look quite easy to fit. Couple of the forums suggest checking that it is genuine 3M tape and swapping if it’s not.

Mmmm, anyone with the "how to" to check for genuine 3M tape??  I guess there's a Youtube for that too........

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Mmmm, anyone with the "how to" to check for genuine 3M tape??  I guess there's a Youtube for that too........

It'll probably say "3M" on the packet mate 😉

On 13/07/2022 at 08:19, TwoHeadsTas said:

Package being picked up by USPS today.    Let's see how long it takes to get here......

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/07/2022 at 09:23, crsedge said:

As with all fibreglass aftermarket car products, they can do with some fettling if your focus is on even gaps.

The 996 ducktail is a good fit but for the retentive-type owner could have required additional minor fibreglass work. For me, I was comfortable that it met my requirements and other than having it painted had it installed as delivered. 😎

Hi Craig,

where did you get the ducktail from?  Have been looking for one but want one with a brake light if possible.  RPM Technik in the UK have an excellent carbon fibre ducktail but they no longer make it with the brake light hole.  

21 hours ago, PhilH said:

Hi Craig,

where did you get the ducktail from?  Have been looking for one but want one with a brake light if possible.  RPM Technik in the UK have an excellent carbon fibre ducktail but they no longer make it with the brake light hole.  

Hi Phil,

Bought mine from GT3tek, not with the brake light though. 

https://www.gt3tek.com/product/190/996-bolt-on-duck-tail-1999-2001

Cheers

Craig

On 12/08/2022 at 23:55, PhilH said:

Hi Craig,

I ordered a carbon fibre one from https://www.stuttgart-classica.co.uk/bodyexterior/996-ducktail-6hm7j

About 7 weeks ago as you found RPM aren’t making ones with a brake light. Should be finished  shortly, only aspect is that shipping has increased a lot circa £400 now.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like order separated, Ducktail delivered today, hopefully sideskirts and lower front spoiler soon.  Will give then 5/10 for packaging, adequate but only just, a bit tatty when it arrived but the ducktail is intact.  Product appears to be reasonably mass produced, for example by fitment of grills, but probably fair value for the price 7.5/10.  

20220829_145856.jpg

20220829_145906.jpg

On 29/08/2022 at 15:14, TwoHeadsTas said:

Looks like order separated, Ducktail delivered today, hopefully sideskirts and lower front spoiler soon.  Will give then 5/10 for packaging, adequate but only just, a bit tatty when it arrived but the ducktail is intact.  Product appears to be reasonably mass produced, for example by fitment of grills, but probably fair value for the price 7.5/10.  

Nice one Peter. As we discussed, the gaps aren't quite there but that is pretty much the same with any fibreglass panel.

I have been happy with mine. I did the rear wiper delete recently as well.

• 2 months later...