Wanted: Early 2.7 heat exchangers or SSIs...

Wobbly

Long shot, but if anyone is going to custom / race headers and has some good condition original heat exchangers or SSIs for sale let me know. Mine are flogged out (more rust than metal!) so looking for something as otherwise will be forking out for some new SSIs 😭

Those would be the cross-over pipe and pre-muffler which get routed into a single inlet (1-in) for the muffler, as shown in the following diagram. That was the standard exhaust configuration from 75 onward I believe.

image.png.982416edea4013748d9e726e390842c5.png

I'm after the earlier design which has no pre-muffler and instead has the headers terminate in rear facing flanges which bolt up to the muffer directly (in a 2-in configuration). This was last used in 74.

image.png.8d86a4d44dabbe03cbd6bf3989a537a8.png

1974 base model 911. Had a tragic wide body flat nose conversion in the late 80's. Now being put back nearer to standard, but still wide bodied with steel guards (welded rear guards, 930 front guards). Rebuilt 2.7 motor - turbo oil pump, JE pistons, 40mm webers. Still a work in progress, hopefully getting closer to turning over in anger soon...

image.jpeg.10bb3782500af000b856113955043dfc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8c43e82f3e250433e9d716262f760fb8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9224776f7fdb0729dc9960d51cc5cf09.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Wobbly said:

Still looking.

@Yeatesy if you have a single inlet muffler then these won’t fit it, no. But you can swap out the muffler if you want. where did you get them from?

Yes I do have a single inlet muffler, I bought them off marketplace and will pick them up late next week.

Are the muffler flanges in good condition? They’re not shown in the pics and that’s where my old ones have rusted out the worst. 

in any case, you’ll need to decide if you want to move them on or look for a dual inlet muffler to fit. If you do want to move them on and they’re in good nick then I’d be interested. But if you want to look for a dual inlet muffler then that’s a good solution as well.