PCCM+ for 997.1 Melb Installer Recommendations

Rerve

1 hour ago, Tom M said:

Hi all, I want to install the PCCM+ in my 997 but given the cost I am considering installing it myself. I'm a bit nervous about that though as I've never done an install like that before plus my current PCM has a Mobridge M2 Pro installed so expecting to find some wires that aren't covered by the YouTube videos. Thoughts on likelihood of getting this to work given I have limited knowledge on this? Worst case I can just take it to an installer if I can't get it to to work?

I would install myself if one was available for a 997.2, I have previously pulled my PCCM apart and fitted a reversing camera card, (I do stupid things like that). In January Carrera1 posted an install and it looks easy, there a re a few Youtube videos available.

2 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

I would install myself if one was available for a 997.2, I have previously pulled my PCCM apart and fitted a reversing camera card, (I do stupid things like that). In January Carrera1 posted an install and it looks easy, there a re a few Youtube videos available.

Yeah it looks doable even for someone who hasn't done it before. PCM quoted $1,400 to install...ouch 

On 08/11/2023 at 11:40, Tom M said:

Hi all, I want to install the PCCM+ in my 997 but given the cost I am considering installing it myself. I'm a bit nervous about that though as I've never done an install like that before plus my current PCM has a Mobridge M2 Pro installed so expecting to find some wires that aren't covered by the YouTube videos. Thoughts on likelihood of getting this to work given I have limited knowledge on this? Worst case I can just take it to an installer if I can't get it to to work?

I think I would have crack, And as you say you have got the pro's for back up 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I've finally pushed the button on this and bought the PCCM+ to install. I've watched all the recommended videos etc and am pretty comfortable I know what to do. One question though, my car currently has a mObridge M2 Connect installed so I'm expecting they installer for that would have done some work behind the current PCM. Any thoughts on what I need to do with the mObridge unit? I presume remove it but I can't find any instructions online for how those things are installed so not sure I'll be able to work out how to remove it. Or just leave it and hope it doesn't interfere with the new PCCM+?

Any thoughts / help would be appreciated.

I installed mine earlier this year and had to remove the Mr12v bits that were there previously. I expect the mobridge is a box tucked in behind the PCM2 which you should see once you remove it. It would have the fibre connected (duel Orange cable) via a plug, power which may be paired to the PCM power and the external mic?  Does the mobridge have one? either way you must remove the mobridge as step 1. PCCM comes in after that!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I successfully installed the PCCM+ and all is working well. 

But…I think since the install my remote key fob range has been dramatically reduced. I used to have great range but now I basically have to stand right next to the car for it to unlock. Yes I have replaced the battery and no difference. Is there an antenna on the A pillar that I might have impacted when I installed the new DAB antenna? Any help would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, sjm said:

Not sure but try asking/searching on rennlist forums. 
they are USA based, so a lot more information available. 

Thanks seems to be a lot is post re this issue for 996 but not 997. I’ll remove the A Pillar covers again and have a look. 

1 hour ago, Tom M said:

Hi all, I successfully installed the PCCM+ and all is working well. 

But…I think since the install my remote key fob range has been dramatically reduced. I used to have great range but now I basically have to stand right next to the car for it to unlock. Yes I have replaced the battery and no difference. Is there an antenna on the A pillar that I might have impacted when I installed the new DAB antenna? Any help would be appreciated. 

Well done with the install, enjoy spending the $1400 you saved not having the dealer install it. 

18 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Well done with the install, enjoy spending the $1400 you saved not having the dealer install it. 

Thanks I took my time with it and all up took about 4 hours. Not that hard thanks to all the good instructions in this forum plus YouTube vids. Crazy that Porsche want to charge $1500 for it. 

The only thing I don’t like about the new unit is that the usb for car play is at the front of the unit and the usb cord initially annoyed me when I was shifting into 3rd as it made contact. But I sorted that now with a 90 degree bend cable. Would have been better to have an option to have the car play cord come out of the back of the unit so you can route it into glove box or similar but can live with it. There are some instructions online to do this but it means opening the unit, playing around with wires etc which is a step to far for me at the moment 🤣