PCCM+ for 997.1 Melb Installer Recommendations

Rerve

Do you have the original telephone module? I wonder if they placed the Mic inside the steering wheel column cowl where the telephone module mic lives. The kit recommends placing the new mic on top of the steering cowl with double sided tape. Also did they mention why only one DAB+ amplifier used, or did they end up also installing?

Also, the PCCM+ supposedly has an internal mic, looking at Rennlist, folk have tested it and state that it is clearer than the external mic - they seem to have the same issue as you:

"Regarding the microphone: knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even bother installing the external mic. It doesn't offer better audio quality (and based on my findings, the external mic is arguably worse) and you already have one that you can use that is built into the PCCM+, so I would just stick with that one and make life a little easier on yourself."

I wonder if the external mic is more for Convertible's and Cabs due to wind noise with the top down etc?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Carrera_01 said:

My PCCM+ arrived this week from Porsche and installing over the weekend. Will let you know how it goes!  

Mine has arrived too, but I’m currently away… so I have the next week to think about how to approach the install… the dealer wants a lot of coin to do the job, and I don’t think it’s worth paying for what is a pretty straightforward as I understand installation… definitely look forward to your feedback 

Installed over the weekend and all seems to be working including AM/FMDAB, phone connects with bluetooth and Apple Carplay via the front USB port as well as the PCCM Navigation.  Here are my thoughts/notes:

Watch the FGP video closely then watch AGAIN

1 Unpack and build the PCCM plus - put the metal plates on both sides and the tray between them where the control unit sits.  add the control unit with supplied double sided tape strip and cable back to the PCCM 

2 remove the coat hook and then the A pillar cover on both sides. - This I would call the most complicated part. Start by removing the coat hook -push up and back then go along and pop out the cover, section at a time. the trick is give it a good yank the cover has press clips that sit in holes. Once off, you have the 2 amplifiers to remove (white one on the left and black one on the right) and replace with the new DAB ones that come with the kit.  The old ones are attached with torx screws and there is limited room due to the dash and windscreen. I used a small socket and wrench to hold the torx bit to fit in and unscrew. Now the old amplifiers have two connections to the antenna via a flat cable, a round cable back to the PCM and a power cable. The new amplifiers only have 2 connections one to either flat antenna cable and round cable back to the PCM. the others are disregarded. .Secure in a spot that fits best with double sided tape and your done.

3 add the GPS antenna to the A pillar. I found it fitted best on the left, The antenna is a flat small box shape with a long cable and being magnetic, easy to secure. I ran the cable down the weather strip across the footwell on the passenger side behind the carper and into the center PCM area.

# when refitting the A pillar covers, start in the reverse order at the windscreen then back to the coat hook 

4 add the FM bypass loop cable. .At the back of the PCM on the floor is the FM modulator,. On the drivers side, pull the carpet back unplug the 2 white connectors and add the bypass cable. tuck that back in. 5 min task

5 remove the old PCM and unplug.

6 add the external Mic. I placed it where they recommend on the steering column with the provided double sided tape, it's easy to run the cable through the column and back to the PCCM. - 5 min task

7 connect the new PCCM. Plugs and connectors only go in one place so fairly straight forward. - see image below

8 the micro SD card for the Nav is inside the SD card provided. Had me confused at first till I worked it out - picture below

Hope that helps! Good luck!

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

pccm back.jpg

A few more points left out of the previous post:

#The orange MOST fiber cable plugs into the control unit but you have to pull out the grey cover over the pins. There is no sound if you do not plug that in!

#Some on Rennlist are placing the magnetic GPS antenna on the metal shelf next to the control unit. Makes for a very simple install. I tried it here first but was unable to obtain a signal. That changed when placed on the A pillar. These folk are in the US and their signal strengths may be stronger who knows?- Interesting to see what others find  

#The one remaining cable that does not plug into anything (green connector on a yellow cable) is for reverse camera and that works for Tip vehicle like mine. The reason is that the Auto sends a signal to the dash screen to advise what gear it is in including reverse (manual does not do that) I plugged a camera into the green (Fakra) connector and the screen when in Reverse immediately displayed what the camera was pointing at. So next project will be properly installing the reverse camera possibly just above the rear number plate.  Folk have got a manual working also however that was far more complicated I believe ie additional cables tapping into the reverse light etc

# Working on both sides of the car with the doors open for long periods as well as testing the unit eventually drained the battery.  Needed to jump start. Keep an eye on that as 911's inherently eat batteries at the best of times!  

• 3 weeks later...

I picked my unit up this week, it is getting fitted next week (along with a service) looks the business, very pleased with the overall aesthetic of it, OEM as it should be. 

I've read mixed reports on the external mic, but it seems the general consensus is that its better to have it, especially whilst underway... right now with the original unit and mobridge BT my call quality is pretty poor, so I am wanting to make sure this is a marked improvement! Any feedback on placement? It is currently on the column for the old system, I'd read of people placing it up on the A pillar is better

IMG_6333.thumb.jpeg.207d6501b4640b734a96afceaf5cca70.jpeg

On 23/01/2023 at 16:22, Carrera_01 said:

A few more points left out of the previous post:

#The orange MOST fiber cable plugs into the control unit but you have to pull out the grey cover over the pins. There is no sound if you do not plug that in!

#Some on Rennlist are placing the magnetic GPS antenna on the metal shelf next to the control unit. Makes for a very simple install. I tried it here first but was unable to obtain a signal. That changed when placed on the A pillar. These folk are in the US and their signal strengths may be stronger who knows?- Interesting to see what others find  

#The one remaining cable that does not plug into anything (green connector on a yellow cable) is for reverse camera and that works for Tip vehicle like mine. The reason is that the Auto sends a signal to the dash screen to advise what gear it is in including reverse (manual does not do that) I plugged a camera into the green (Fakra) connector and the screen when in Reverse immediately displayed what the camera was pointing at. So next project will be properly installing the reverse camera possibly just above the rear number plate.  Folk have got a manual working also however that was far more complicated I believe ie additional cables tapping into the reverse light etc

# Working on both sides of the car with the doors open for long periods as well as testing the unit eventually drained the battery.  Needed to jump start. Keep an eye on that as 911's inherently eat batteries at the best of times!  

Great write up,, have you noticed any difference between the screen resolution between your old and new PCM’s,?

I have been researching the new PCM and have noticed that you need to plug in your phone to access Airplay could you advse if this is correct.

I have found another alternative and that is to install an interface card within the existing PCM,, which offers wifi & Bluetooth connection eliminating a cable

Cheers,,, Warren

Screen resolution is substantially. Improved on the PCCM+ compared to the old PCM 2.1 (997.1) - Night & Day. Yes, for Carplay you need to plug in the front USB port via cable. That is fine as I do that to charge up and my use on bluetooth covers 90% of daily needs with the phone anyway. That said, Reeve in a post above has purchased a wireless adaptor to go with the PCCM+ and is happy with the results. 

If yours is a 997.2, this PCCM+ version is only for 997.1 and replace PCM 2 units. The one for 997.2 cars are a few years away.

19 hours ago, edgy said:

I picked my unit up this week, it is getting fitted next week (along with a service) looks the business, very pleased with the overall aesthetic of it, OEM as it should be. 

I've read mixed reports on the external mic, but it seems the general consensus is that its better to have it, especially whilst underway... right now with the original unit and mobridge BT my call quality is pretty poor, so I am wanting to make sure this is a marked improvement! Any feedback on placement? It is currently on the column for the old system, I'd read of people placing it up on the A pillar is better

IMG_6333.thumb.jpeg.207d6501b4640b734a96afceaf5cca70.jpeg

I found the best location for the external Mic is where Porsche designed it to go - On the steering column and attached with the double-sided tape it comes with. It is almost invisible there and the sound quality in a call is very good. I had the Mr 12 volt adapter previously. with its external mic sat in the dash amongst the dials and the sound quality on a call is far better now.  Re the internal mic that comes in the PCCM+, is fine when the car is parked but very poor when the car is driving and the noise that comes with that - Hence the need for the external mic!

On 08/02/2023 at 15:54, WB997.2GTS said:

Great write up,, have you noticed any difference between the screen resolution between your old and new PCM’s,?

I have been researching the new PCM and have noticed that you need to plug in your phone to access Airplay could you advse if this is correct.

I have found another alternative and that is to install an interface card within the existing PCM,, which offers wifi & Bluetooth connection eliminating a cable

Cheers,,, Warren

Hi Warren,

I have the nmautomotive solution in my 997.2, a few others same concept of add another box behind and some boards inside the PCM while using the aux connection.

Installed myself, not too bad but similar car play is wired. Might look at the wireless adapter mentioned above at some stage but as others said i use it to charge as i drive anyway, most annoying bit was locating the phone so it does not fly away... Only issue is playback volume is low, i need a new PCM firmware version to enable a loud option via the aux connection but need a dealer to do it.

Keeps it fully OEM on the outside, also keeps the same screen which actually works ok.

Which one did you find that is fully wireless?

Thanks,

Taffy

3 hours ago, Rerve said:

Yep, that was the first thing I did to the car. Makes a big difference.

Was it a diy or did you get somebody to do it? I've seen some videos on Youtube and it honestly looks like a job that would take me half a day easy. I'm in Sydney and looking for somewhere to do it. Do your new switches light up?

10 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Was it a diy or did you get somebody to do it? I've seen some videos on Youtube and it honestly looks like a job that would take me half a day easy. I'm in Sydney and looking for somewhere to do it. Do your new switches light up?

DIY. Took about an hour all up. And 30 mins of that was a trip to Bunnings to get the tiny Torx bit I didn’t have. 

I don’t think they lit up originally? We’re just talking about the up and down switches right?

23 minutes ago, Rerve said:

DIY. Took about an hour all up. And 30 mins of that was a trip to Bunnings to get the tiny Torx bit I didn’t have. 

I don’t think they lit up originally? We’re just talking about the up and down switches right?

You must be quite handy, from what I've seen on Youtube, I think it would take me a few hours.

I'm talking about the "temp" and fan toggle switches. The original switches light up when the headlights are on.

4 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

You must be quite handy, from what I've seen on Youtube, I think it would take me a few hours.

I'm talking about the "temp" and fan toggle switches. The original switches light up when the headlights are on.

Yep we’re talking about the same switches.

And yep, you’re right. They light up.

0DCB87B3-49C5-4553-98CA-6CFE2871027F.jpeg

18 hours ago, Sabotage said:

Also changed my temp and switches on the AC unit also when I installed the PCCM+, purchased from Climarepair in the UK for $52 Euro which has come down alot from a few years back. The quality is good and as Rerve said, a 30 min task especially if the side panels are already off. The Auto Amateur chap on YouTube does one on this exact task. Very thoroughly explained so follow that and you cannot go wrong

• 3 weeks later...

I got my daily driver 997 back today… amongst other things, I had the PCCM+ installed 

my god, this slashed 10 years from the age of this car… very happy I went this path, love the native integration into steering wheels controls, dash display and fit & finish, outstanding!! 

838064B5-AAC2-4DA8-913A-E0A39932AE19.thumb.jpeg.6fe203f492969b369e9754ea7e88ef27.jpeg

3 hours ago, edgy said:

I got my daily driver 997 back today… amongst other things, I had the PCCM+ installed 

my god, this slashed 10 years from the age of this car… very happy I went this path, love the native integration into steering wheels controls, dash display and fit & finish, outstanding!! 

838064B5-AAC2-4DA8-913A-E0A39932AE19.thumb.jpeg.6fe203f492969b369e9754ea7e88ef27.jpeg

Congrats that looks perfect.  I have the Porsche system in my 993 and it’s the little things that make this brilliant and worth it.  Oem is amazing isn’t it. 

16 hours ago, mc968cs said:

Congrats that looks perfect.  I have the Porsche system in my 993 and it’s the little things that make this brilliant and worth it.  Oem is amazing isn’t it. 

For sure! Whilst I know this is a commercial exercise for Porsche, I really do appreciate a manufacturer that’s so invested in keeping their older cars up to date, and therefore more usable… I know for those that don’t do regular use it probably makes no sense, but if you’re stacking on the miles, it really makes the car so much easier to live with! 

• 8 months later...

Hi all, I want to install the PCCM+ in my 997 but given the cost I am considering installing it myself. I'm a bit nervous about that though as I've never done an install like that before plus my current PCM has a Mobridge M2 Pro installed so expecting to find some wires that aren't covered by the YouTube videos. Thoughts on likelihood of getting this to work given I have limited knowledge on this? Worst case I can just take it to an installer if I can't get it to to work?