How many 996, 997.1 and 997.2 Turbos exist in Australia

Lots, not many, then lots.

996 TT were around a long while 2000 - 05.
997.1 TT from 06-08 - not as many sold/ordered because of GFC.
997.2 TT from 09-13 - more # sold as the economy was recovering + the PDK made them accessible/easy to drive and FAAAASST!

Im not sure how you'd get the actual breakdown - PCA stopped sharing that info in the early 2000's...

On 09/06/2023 at 01:19, sleazius said:

Plus all the imports. Turbos are usually the only model that it makes sense to import so there are a lot as a result.

Not convinced theres been much of a arbitrage opportunity to profit to make it worth while in the last 10 years ( exclude last 18 months) to bring in your privately owned 996/997.    But extremely curious, as to where are these hundreds of private  imports  with mph speedo's holed up.   Definitely not in my neck of the woods.  I have it on good authority that one of the most isolated Porsche dealers in the world aren't logging  many entries on  996 turbo's service books that have a third  pedal and  an  Oz delivered Vin let, alone an imported one.  But perhaps the low numbers are driven by no point in  keeping dealer stamps up if you have an import so you can market  10000 miles between  dealers stamp service locations   on a when its time to offload.  Hear I was thinking a import  is lower in the pecking order price wise all other things being equal  or you not convinced of the circa 15 to 20% deduct  from oz buyers for a couple of different letters   on the vin.  I definately offered circa 20% less for the inferior Vin numbers  when I was on the hunt compared to oz delivered having been schooled on here  when undertaking a bit of homework back in the day.

Or is it just a trend of owners in the West.   Too posh to push. ( a third pedal that is) with a lot of imports holed up in garages  that dont see the light of day let alone get serviced.

So must be a NSW thing.  Eg shed  loads of imported 6 speed 996's and 997's ( who would bother  privately bringing  in a  tipper or 997.2 pdk)  Havent seen a lot of imported manual  996's and 997's on Carsales over the last 8 years. So you seeing hundreds on the road in NSW's.  Eg Is it a case of sun's out and boost junkies are out and about in numbers  getting a fix lighting  up their laggy mezgers or butter smooth pdk's in mph.  

On 08/06/2023 at 17:20, on_booost said:

Lots, not many, then lots.

996 TT were around a long while 2000 - 05.
997.1 TT from 06-08 - not as many sold/ordered because of GFC.
997.2 TT from 09-13 - more # sold as the economy was recovering + the PDK made them accessible/easy to drive and FAAAASST!

Im not sure how you'd get the actual breakdown - PCA stopped sharing that info in the early 2000's...

I guess no one rates the search function.  

1993 Turbo 3.6 10 units

1995 Turbo 3.6 40 units

1996 Turbo 3.6 37 units

1997 Turbo 3.6 41 units

1998 Turbo S 11 units

2001 996 Turbo 114 units

2002 996 Turbo 64 units

2003 996 Turbo 48 units

2004 996 Turbo 39 units

2004 Turbo Cab 46 units

2005 996 Turbo 5 units

2005 Turbo Cab 8 units

2005 Turbo S 16 units

2005 TurboS Cab 4 units

Assuming the numbers above are close to the mark, the above numbers are a lot less than I expected if you park the lots of shiploads of personel imports apparently around.  With a vested interest, I don't rate or  give a toss about additional imported numbers  because their worthless like for like condition wise,  For me, it would be good to have a line of sight on the break down of series 2 996 manuals because thats the sweetspot  in my biased opinion wrt to 996 turbo's.  Plus would be nice to have the colour breakdowns.  I have a boring silver one but not convinced its as common as  most think as it has a paint code that  is not artic  silver.

Correct numbers below (but pretty close) These are officially imported examples - there were at least 1 x 964 Flachbau and 2 x 993GT2 imported.

1991 Turbo 3.3 x10
1992 Turbo 3.3 x 5
1993 Turbo 3.6 x10
1994 Turbo with "R" engine and VIN = 5
1995 Turbo 993 x 40
1996 Turbo 993 x 37
1997 Turbo 993  x41
1998 Turbo S 993 x 15

No turbos in 1999 or 2000.

My info stops at 2001 for numbers but these look close from my recollection... Although I thought that the '02 (or '03) version with the glovebox - was over 100 units?

Either way - i'd agree - especially compared to now - there is effff all of them around. I asked for 997 info but am awaiting a reply.
My info also doesn't break down manual/auto variants, but like you said above - just not that many sold, silver or otherwise...

On 13/06/2023 at 19:34, smit2100 said:

I have a boring silver one but not convinced its as common as  most think as it has a paint code that  is not artic  silver.

Possibly Polar Silver Code L92M, like mine.

L92M indeed, Not my preferred colour of choice but colour preferences was down the list of top priorities after being on the hunt for 2 years.  The irony was one of the first cars I put eyes on in car sales when I first started looking seriously was  white 996 turbo S asking for 125k.  Not too sure if it was factory white with a corresponding  frunk code and appropriate vin for an S, but it was 2005 and had a few acceptable mods as well but perhaps  not to the purists liking.   On reflection that is best colour in my opinion coupled  with the darker factory  gtsilver hollow turbo twists, matching white center console, black interior,  sports seats ( gt3 comfort) with crests,  yellow belts to match yellow calipers on the S and all the aluminium  trim bits available  ( i dont think the carbon fibre has aged well)  if you could go back to the future and tick the options box.

I must be color blind I couldn’t differentiate polar from arctic until I saw them side by side 🤷‍♂️

Though once I did I'm glad I got Polar.

When I was getting my PPI they said “so your car is the blue one?” I was confused as I was positive mine was artic silver.