DME Relay

On 20/09/2023 at 09:17, 911 said:

Hi all,

Looking to get a spare DME for my 911.

I've done some reading on pelican parts and came across these solid state relays with pump prime feature. They look good. Any downside to these over OEM? Anyone using them? 

https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/911-ssr-pp

I know the old OEM ones were made in West Germany and the new ones are made in China, if that's helps. Maybe try get NOS. 

Not sure about the pump prime feature and if it's worth it or not. 

It's cool that they've got the Led option, which shows you what is failing. 

Hi all,

I've done some reading on pelican parts and came across these solid state relays with pump prime feature. They look good. Any downside to these over OEM? Anyone using them? 

I see Nick Diggens is advertising one on FB - not sure if it would be what you are looking for.  He's on here and I can't just remember his user name to tag him in.

edit

Just remembered, it's @Pork Chops 🙂 

Hi all,

Thanks, as someone who has been stuck with a dud DME relay before, this solid state idea is fantastic. I’ve just ordered one for 993. 

45 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

Thanks, as someone who has been stuck with a dud DME relay before, this solid state idea is fantastic. I’ve just ordered one for 993. 

No worries. Looks like a good alternative to the stock ones that's more expensive and still prone to failure bring mechanical as opposed to SS. 

Did you opt for the pump prime option and LED? Curious to know others thoughts on the pump prime, as I thought it would have not been good for cold start. 

On 26/09/2023 at 12:19, rminc said:

I know the old OEM ones were made in West Germany and the new ones are made in China, if that's helps. Maybe try get NOS. 

Not sure about the pump prime feature and if it's worth it or not. 

It's cool that they've got the Led option, which shows you what is failing. 

OEM is alot more expensive to in comparison to the one linked above. 

1 hour ago, 911 said:

Did you opt for the pump prime option and LED? Curious to know others thoughts on the pump prime, as I thought it would have not been good for cold start. 

From the vendor - I checked, so went non prime with led diagnostic built in —> All 1996 and newer 993 models equipped with OBD2 (On-Board Diagnostics 2) must use the non-priming Solid-State DME relay. This is because the DME on these years monitors the fuel pump and may throw a trouble code if the pump runs when it did not command it to do so. Below is a link to the correct SSR for your 993:Porsche Solid-State DME Relay — Focus 9 Technology, LLC (ftech9.com)

I'm just curious if the pump prime is benefirial for the earlier models. 

If the pump is priming with the DME, the car will start alot quicker, possibly not giving the engine time to build the oil pressure you'd normally build during cranking? I could be completely wrong?

From the vendor for anyone interested:

"I recommend the Pump-Prime feature, even over the Diagnostics option. The reason is that older Porsche vehicle can develop internal leaks in the fuel system causing fuel to drain back to the tank. The fuel priming feature purges residual air and helps ensure optional fuel pressure when the DME fires the injectors. Also, in a no-start scenario, it is very helpful to “hear” the fuel pump run when the ignition is switched to the “on” position. This lets you know immediately both the DME relay, and the fuel pump are working."

I'm based in Melbourne if anyone wants to split shipping. 

I have used one of these with Pump Prime on 2 (pre 993 ) 911's .

They work well & have become a sort of 'tool' I can use for trouble shooting. Perfect if you don't use your 911 much and the battery has reduced oomph when starting.

I don't use it all the time now, as I bought a normal Relay from Germany that was made in Poland (I think) and that has has been good too.