Porsche 911 swb pricing

Ok, I’ve got the chance of my ultimate dream car, a swb 911. It’s none matching numbers lhd that needs a full resto. It would be a very long term project for me and I would have to sell my other projects to make room. What do you think price wise? The floor pans need welding and door panel gaps are poor. Interior needs restoration, full paint, basically everything needs doing. May be able to get it on the road as a rat look with some repairs. I know it’s hard to price but what do you reckon as a real roughy? 

44 minutes ago, Neggy said:

Price on a 911 swb project car. 

Love to help you mate but you are asking a pretty loaded question with nil detail. 

Porsche projects aren’t 10’s thousands, they are typically 100’s. How many 100’s will depend on what you are starting with and what level of product you want at the end. Short answer, anywhere from 100k onwards. 

Here is my guesses based on previous experience

Body work. Lucky to get it done around $40k. More like between $50k and $60k.

Suspension, brakes, steering. $5k if you do all the work yourself. $15k to $20k by others.

Interior. $5 to $7k if you do the work yourself. $20k if by others.

Engine. $10k in parts on average. $15k to $20k in labor.

So that's $60k as an absolute minimum (and a lot of hours from you) and up to $120k more like it.

Being its a LHD non matching number, I would work backwards from what they are worth restored. But don't take the silly dealer asking price on Carsales as a guide. Some of those cars have been on the market for years.

To buy or to restore? 

How much are they asking for it? Maybe we could advise whether it's worth it or not.

I know people have paid a shop $200-300k to restore an SWB, so it just depends how much work you do yourself, where you buy parts from etc etc.

If you buy engine parts for someone to rebuild it, you won't get any warranty on the parts, just the labour, so you have to be careful with that. Bodywork I learnt a lot on YouTube whilst doing my 912, yet it's trial and error and just having a go. Paint...leave it to the pro's, same with the interior unless you're handy...or your name is Jeff and have your own sewing machine and an abundance of patience 😁

Values are all over the place, and being a lefty it's not as popular as a righty, so trying to put a value on a car now for what it's worth in 3-4-5 years time is near on impossible in these economic times. I highly doubt they'll go up in value to what they are now, yet we've all said that before

17 hours ago, mrar said:

Hi Neggy,

Welcome.

I see you posted this below on early s registry. 

Did you check the vin# to see if it is an s or a swb car?

Maybe post some images here too.

"1968 Porsche 911s info help

Hi guys,

New to the forum so be gentle. I live in Australia and looking at purchasing a 1968 Porsche 911s. I’m trying to gain a gauge on how much the car would be worth. The car was imported to Australia from California about 18 months ago. It’s still lhd. It’s got a 911e engine in it that is currently not running. The body is rough and the door gaps are poor. The car needs a complete restoration which I would be carrying out myself. This is the cheapest way for me to enter in to owning my dream car. It has lwb flared rear arches on it. I have confirmed it is a swb car by measuring and it has early tell tale signs like the rear view mirror being mounted on the roof and early rear lid with the bar in the middle.
What value would be put on a rough 911s to give me a gauge? Any help appreciated and if there is other things I should be looking for on it. Once I’ve worked out how to get pictures up I’ll post a few.

Thanks"

about 60,000 - 80,000