PPF or Ceramic?

Interested in thoughts/opinions regarding PPF v’s Ceramic (v’s doing nothing).  I bought a two owner 2015 991.1 (Carmine red) 1.5 years ago that has PPF on the front (bumper/fenders/bonnet).  The PPF appears to have worn well (I have no idea when it was applied and if it’s factory or after-market).  Anyway, it’s a weekend car that I do a very amateur “no touch” clean about every month.  So, to keep it looking nice (NOT “concourse” obviously), what are my best options?   Should I (A) just keep what I’m doing, (B) get a new PPF, (C) get paint correction then new PPF or (D) remove the PPF then paint correction then Ceramic, or (E) some combination of previous?

All advice welcome

PPF is mainly for impact protection and is better at protecting paint, but you can see it's on there. Ceramic protects paint, but not against things like stone chips.

good brands of PPF usually last about 10 years, so it might be time. If they did it properly the first time they would have done paint correction, and then applied the PPF.

personally, I'd either leave the current PPF or get it re-done if you're happy with it, otherwise pull it off and go ceramic but you'll lose some level of protection.

@nine11 PPF provides greatest impact protection which is what causes most damage to the paint. Effectively it's a sacrificial barrier so it gets damaged so your paint doesn't. On my previous car PPF effectively saved me a respray of the front end and the hips of the car and the level of protection offered was amazing. After 8 years when the film was rough and yellowed, I replaced it and the car looked like new again. The hips looked like sandpaper yet only one penetration was found once removed after 8 years of track use. 

Ceramic coat help make cleaning easier but if it's a weekender, you've got to way up if easier clean up or impact protection is what is most important to you. In my view, PPF is a must because the savings are in the tens of thousands of dollars in painting repairs, ceramic coat is a luxury I can live without. In an ideal world, both...

With your current PPF, only replace it if it's failing or aesthetically no longer pleasing to you. Function over form... 

@nine11 Gives you an idea of the level of protection. Saved me probably $20-30k in respraying and maintained the original paint like new... 

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000002.jpg

I have heard some people say that ceramic protects the paint against stone chips. It doesn't. It essentially gives the effect of a good wax job that lasts a lot longer. If you want to go to all out, you protect the paint with PPF and then ceramic coat on top to keep the water beading off of it and keep the car looking nice.

Personally, I ceramic coat myself and clean the car by hand. 
The price of PPF is expensive and needs replacing every 5-10 years, depending on quality of product and application. 
Found it cheaper to repaint the front clip (bumper, guards, bonnet) on both my 997’s, a good job was done both times. Couldn’t fault the blending of old and new paint. 
Realise some people don’t like the idea of painting their car but the older the car the Less it should matter. 

PPF like paint does become contaminated and will often need a good clean. Before you start ripping it off suggest you get a ppf installer or you diy a good deep clean. Many say don’t use clay on ppf but the professional shops do. Low abrasive clay well lubricated works a treat to decontaminate the ppf. 

I use geyon ppf polish once a year with great results and you can also coat it with ceramic after.

you maybe surprised how well it comes up.

On 14/03/2024 at 21:39, Tips said:

PPF like paint does become contaminated and will often need a good clean. Before you start ripping it off suggest you get a ppf installer or you diy a good deep clean. Many say don’t use clay on ppf but the professional shops do. Low abrasive clay well lubricated works a treat to decontaminate the ppf. 

I use geyon ppf polish once a year with great results and you can also coat it with ceramic after.

you maybe surprised how well it comes up.

One thing about the DIY ceramic gear, Give the 996 a coat about a year ago now, It's had about 6 washes comes up a treat and the bugs don't stick any more, Less work the better. 😀