Own maintenance on 986??

Pinarelloman

With alot of the air cooled guys doing their own maintenance, I thought I would ask who here does their own Boxster maintenance & what do you do.

I will start with mine. All of which has been preventative maintenance.

Purchased in 2009.

So far I have done.

Spark plugs.

Water pump.

Engine mount.

Low temp thermostat.

Left & Right inner CV boots.

New serpentine belt.

I also have a Durametric cable to clear any CEL's and run it occasionally to make sure all is well. It also reads any over revs.. only one, mine oops...

I will be doing a coolant change this week & have purchased a vacuum bleeder for the coolant, which I am happy to lend to any Sydney guys here.

Great stuff!

I always love to read of people doing their own maintenance and learning their car.

Has anyone done a tiptronic fluid/filter change at home? it looks like you would need a ramp or pit to do this easily!

I send mine to Hamilton's...I've done the hard years underneath cars.  I'm over it, plus I no longer have the space.  Much rather pay the professionals and save my weekends for driving.  Hamilton's even call by to collect the car and return it in the evening.

Good service will keep you going back every time. My father in law used to own a car dealership and he made sure his service customers were always well looked after with pick ups/drop offs, free loan cars, updated on any issues etc.

That's right Harvs...

On my previous cars, I've rebuilt gearboxes, clutches, driveshafts, CV joints, CV boots, carburettors, brakes....you name it.  I've learned an awful lot doing it myself.  These days, I really couldn't be bothered with getting under the car all weekend and getting grease under the fingernails.  Plus, there's no way I'm going to muck around with EFI.

I've done a few jobs on the Boxster, new roof control unit, retro fitted the Onboard Computer Controls, fixed up some headlight issues, re-tensioned the softop, updated the centre and front consol.  I don't mind doing fun little jobs like that.

The motor mount replacement is a very easy repair for a common problem, while in there it is worth doing at least a water pump & if time & $$ allow replace the thermostat with the low temp version.

Mine gave none of the clunking/bad shifting symptoms but was torn 3/4 of the way through.

Archived