The humble SC : bulletproof example!

tazzieman

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/749299-297k-miles-original-unopened-engine.html

@500,000kms!

I recently purchased a 1980 911sc from a friend who was the original owner.
The engine has never been opened and has not had any major work done to it.

It never has had a broken head stud nor does it have a Pop-Off valve.
It has the original chain tensioners as opposed to the pressure fed tensioners.

So my question to you is:
is this car and its engine just an anomaly ?

The car has had regular maintenance for 33 years and has managed to survive without a pop-off valve or pressure fed chain tensioners so why would I add them now ?

Why not just rebuild or replace the existing tensioners and add collar clamps as protection against catastrophic failure ?

I have replaced the CAT with an M&K Pre Muffler and replaced the stock muffler with an M&K single in single out Sport muffler.

The car had the O2 sensor disconnected years ago.

The car starts right up and runs great. It does not burn oil.
I have tuned it up and plan on checking the existing chain tensioners and ramps in the upcoming weeks.

I recently purchased a 1980 SC with 310k. It has a full service history (a full folder) with no evidence of any major engine work. PPI showed average leak down result of 2-3%. I have put 5000km on the car in three months and it is faultless.

Cairns Porsche who did the PPI and have serviced the car for about the last eight years tell me they have another client with the same year model who uses it as a daily driver. They did the top end at approx 450k. The car now has 750k and showing no signs of excessive wear.

Oil: 20w-50 Mineral (I am using Swepco mineral oil)

I recently purchased a 1980 SC with 310k. It has a full service history (a full folder) with no evidence of any major engine work. PPI showed average leak down result of 2-3%. I have put 5000km on the car in three months and it is faultless.

Cairns Porsche who did the PPI and have serviced the car for about the last eight years tell me they have another client with the same year model who uses it as a daily driver. They did the top end at approx 450k. The car now has 750k and showing no signs of excessive wear.

Oil: 20w-50 Mineral (I am using Swepco mineral oil)

Well done on your purchase and...re the 750k car - says a lot for the quality of the speedo as well!

If you have the mindset of keeping a chassis alive , these cars are pretty cheap and "green". Even Porsche had that philosophy in the 70s.

Yep, Steamwolfs car has 400+ klms on it. Runs and drives like a dream from being well looked after.

Yep. I have a folder of reciepts the size of a phone book for the car and it has only ever had valve guides done.  Still has the original chain tensioners too.

Yep. I have a folder of reciepts the size of a phone book for the car and it has only ever had valve guides done.  Still has the original chain tensioners too.

I'm only up to 320,000 (but have oil fed tensioners, and pretty sure have had a rebuild in there)

my SC has been pretty bulletproof.. the fuel pump is the only thing that has gone kaputt.

LOL I'm sure the 3.6 helps in that department

Archived