986/987 Air Oil Separator problem explained

Niko

Thanks Niko...it's happened about twice in the last 12 months, a puff of white smoke on starting.  Both times it was a hot engine start.  Zero occurences since the last service.

Mate, mine looked like a bushfire when it did do it.    A very embarrassing time when filling up at the servo and then starting car.

The entire servo apron would be smoked out.

It was very intermittent.   Could happen any time and gave no warning of when it was going to bring you undone.

Certainly makes your heart end up in your mouth when you first see it happen.

I haven't had a problem since having it replaced.   

Mate, mine looked like a bushfire when it did do it.    A very embarrassing time when filling up at the servo and then starting car.

It was very intermittent.   Could happen any time and gave no warning of when it was going to bring you undone.

I used to have a similar problem with a modulator on the gearbox of an old Mercedes - once it failed it sucked ATF into the intake and burnt it. I filled a 4 way intersection with smoke. lol

My TE Cortina once covered the front of my parents house in SMOKE. err well it was actually a Police residence. Later on it had some 10L of oil drained out. My brother went a bit overboard with top up!

So I take it you wait for smoke symptoms and then replace AOS? No point in doing it as a preventative measure?

My TE Cortina once covered the front of my parents house in SMOKE. err well it was actually a Police residence. Later on it had some 10L of oil drained out. My brother went a bit overboard with top up!

So I take it you wait for smoke symptoms and then replace AOS? No point in doing it as a preventative measure?

Correct o mondo. Not worth worrying about.

Did it only do it at startup or was it running like that for a while? Mine very occasionally does it for one big puff of smoke at startup. Mechanic said one possible cause could be AOS.

Steve, it was a bit intermittent.   Every now and again on start up, but it was also happening when the car was hot. :wacko:  

Turn it off, go and do what you have to do, 2, 5 10 30 minutes..... later hop in and "POOF" (I say that in the nicest possible way) looked like another Victorian bushfire.  :o

The start up puff you are experiencing and i may be wrong here so any one please correct me.... Is a sort of  "natural thing" with them.

I think other various P models also have this happen.

Even after having my AOS  replaced every now and again I still get a little puff of smoke on cold start up, it is very rare but it does happen.   I guess depending on how much smoke yours actually coughs out...   But if the AOS is on the way out I am sure you will also experience on both hot and cold start ups as I did on the few embarrassing moments. :ph34r:  

I believe it is the way the flat six motor drops a bit of oil through into the cylinders at rest and then on start up it just "clears it throat" so to speak. ;)    If that is it..... nothing to worry about.  

But if it is a hell of a lot of smoke, might be worth having checked out.   Hope that helps a bit...  

Thanks Niko, good hearing from someone who has had similar issues. Next service (unless it gets worse) I was going to get the spark plugs changed and was thinking to get the AOS changed while they are in there tinkering around. Cost of the actual part is somewhere around $250 so cheap way to stop the embarrassment of that cloud of smoke.

And congrats on the 2,000 posts, you are probably there by now as the one above was 1,999 :D

Thanks Steve re the 2000,

good idea with the AOS, getting it done, it is as you said a cheap fix and worth doing while they are in there.

Good luck with it.

Archived