RHD is it worth it?

Hi Guys,

I posted a while back about my 911, too give you a brief background, Its a 1977 911 which was later updated with a 993 Turbo S body and much quicker engine (3.2L, not sure what model it was from), and I imported it from America.. I have no intention of selling it however at the moment it is LHD and due to some rust underneath the car it is going to need to have the 'frontcut of the chassis' replaced (from the nose back to the front of the windscreen, and considering I'm going to that extent, is it worth buying a RHD dash from a 993 and converting it to RHD while Im in the process, or should I just leave it LHD as a conversion could affect the balance and other performance/handling of the car???

Any educated opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

that's a lot of work - I'd assume that an RHD conversion isn't going to be much of an extra cost if they're replacing it all anyway

I don't think you'd have a 993 dash, I think you'll have the original '77 dash with different pad/dials etc so I think you'll be okay with parts availability

the amount of foot room is the only difference I can think of, but people with LHD cars will probably mention the feel and location of the key and other things

and as for value I don't think it'll make much difference

Yes I agree, if the scope of work is that large you may as well go for it! You might be able to find a RHD car that been hit hard in the ass and has all the key components for your repair and conversion for relatively cheap? 

Quite some time ago I owned a poorly converted car, these guys had a RHD "KIT" everything you needed

to go from LHD to RHD. Probably worth a phone call.

Swan Porsche Parts

33D Rason Pde,
Bellevue, 6056
Western Australia 

Tel: +61 8 9274 5911

Email: sales@swanporsche.com.au

Archived