Car history

Doish13

Hi all hope you can help.

I have read threads on the subject however just cannot locate it right now.

I'm trying to obtain some history of my car ie who owned, where owned etc. As it's an older car now, relatively speaking, would lovevto track down the original owner (if still around) and show them pics of the xr now that its restored.

Rang the PO today ( I think hevwants it back) and the info I learnt wascremarkable in hat it's not a English car. However, it was bought in to OZ from England however it's a Norther Irish vehicle.

FYI I have all the MOT stickers and service records from 1990 onwards.

I know it breaches privacy laws etc etc however anyone got any idea? Also how do I check if the engine is the matching one for the xar when originally bought?

I've seem to become fixated in tracing it's heritage - any assistance would be appreciated.

For the delivery info, including engine and options, i.e. Cardex info, try

marc.noack@porsche.de

or: Porsche Melbourne

or: Just James at Autohaus Hamilton

They should be able to confirm the numbers for you.

History of owners I can't help you with.  Having trouble tracing mine and its Australian delivered.

Good Luck

I just re read my post and am surprised you even understood what I wrote it's hat bad. Done on phone with small screen -sorry all.

At least the predictive text didn't say something really embarrassing.  Scrambled spelling is so common now that I don't even notice any more.  I fear for the literacy of anyone learning to read and write now.

• 2 weeks later...

Doish,

This is an interesting topic, as I also would like to know the history of my vehicle. The chap I bought it from was vague to say the least. I know it is said that you "should know the full history of your car before buying", however originally I knew I was going to put cash into it to get it sorted (and there's a way to go); however I now know what's gone into it, and what going into it.

Porsche Melbourne could tell me that all numbers matched up, when it was delivered in 79, where, what colour and accessories it had as part of the original shipment. Other than that I know it what stae it has been in, but would love to know more.......not sure how that can happen.

Interestingly I was just reading the 2013 market review from Classic & Sport Car magazine, and there's an article on just this topic. It appears it may be a lot easier in the U.K., or Europe .

I'll be interested to see if there are any ideas out there.

Peter

In purchasing my 964, the log book came documented with the names and addresses of the previous four owners, including the mileages at which each owner sold her - I haven't been nosy enough to contact any of them yet, but it's nice to have the info. (The second owner, from 1994 to 2000, covered a grand total of about 2500kms in his ownership - it'd be interesting to chat to him!!!)

For my mid-year 911, I  didn't have any documents, but she did have an old "Autocoupe" service sticker on her and another from "Lorbeks Luxury Cars". By ringing those places, I managed to get them to fax over some old receipts from the 1990s, which had some prior owners' details on them. I haven't chased the trail any further, but know I could if I wanted.

If you know roughly where the car has lived, I reckon it would pay to ring around the independent Porsche and euro-car mechanics with your VIN, you might be surprised.

Archived