Help, opinions, comments. VW Polo

Hi everyone,

Well it is time for our Daughter to get her first car, we are helping with some $$$$ but we want

her to look, negotiate(to a point) organise the Mech inspection etc etc.(life skills, and all that)

So she has decided on this one

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Volkswagen-Polo-2007/SSE-AD-2175288/?Cr=4&sdmvc=1

We went for a look today and it appears quite clean, drives well & maybe the one.

However only one key, no log book, no service history.(Our friend services it, he is a really good mechanic)

Does anyone have knowledge of these Polo's, what about pricing,(comparing to others on carsales seems

about right).

Helpful comments, critiques, opinions welcome.

Thanks

seems like you've got some room to negotiate with no service history and a single key

I'd be a bit scared of no service history but it hasn't done that many k's so things like cam belts won't have been done yet

Get a PPI done and then do the Cambelt straight away if you purchase.

If I can't see evidence of a major service item, I get it done (and negotiate on the price of course). This has saved me at least twice on a 944 S2 and a Subaru.

This Polo is a Nice Little car though. The wheel trims look pants (in my opinion, sorry!).

Check the price of a second key, probably north of $350 plus some. I have run golfs as as one of my guys company cars for 10 years & they are one of the most expensive cars in the fleet to service as well, not unusual to get a $900 bill for a routine service at the dealer, other than that they have been very reliable cars.

Thanks Guys,

All very helpful, I phoned VW this morning, it's due for a major service, $1400(must have a 3.2 carrera motor in it)

Also a cam chain not a belt(apparently), so no service interval.

The key is a worry, $350+, I reckon I've bought cars for less than that.

Anyway I'll talk to her tonight, if she still wants to go ahead, we'll negotiate the key/service, if we can agree on a number with the owner,

we'll pay for a PPI (maybe RACQ) and then take it from there.

Thanks again.

Archived