Looking for a 356 - if anyone knows of a good one....

I'm on the hunt for my first 356.

If any PFA'ers can assist in any way I would appreciate the help. Being located in the deep south west of WA means I need to narrow down the search before jetting anywhere.

The number one criteria is that the car is an Australian delivered example, with a documented history.

Colour is irrelevant, but the condition of the shell must be good.

If it has an interesting history, all the better.

Could be an A, B or C. 

Could be a coupe or a Speedster

Modified is ok, but I'm not after a race car per se.

No left hand drive converts, or restoration projects please.

It must be licensed in whichever state, and ready to go.

I'm after something really out of the box and looking forward to the chase as I've been clearing the decks ready to slot something special in the garage.

Lets hope we find something.....................

1964 356 SC (95Din Hp, Twin Solex Solid shaft Carbs, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes) < 3500 Built. Rare. The best driver of all the 356's.

Karman Bodied.

Concours Condition, In complete standard form and function.

Light Ivory with red Leather interior.

Numbers Matching all original. LHD > RHD conversion done to the highest level (My standards, which are extremely high)

Sold new in France to an american serviceman and then taken to the USA, Dry stored since 1972 and imported to Australia in 1996 and restored to an extremely High standard.

6V to 12V conversion, Hidden Eye level Brake light, Dual Brake Master Cylinder Conversion, Electronic Ignition, Original Frankfurt Blaupunkt Radio with Ipod adaptor.

For all intents and purposes this is a car that looks, smells and drives like a new one.

PM me if you are interested.

Alternatively there is a LHD 356C in white for sale in WA at around 50k(?) on carsales This is the 75Bhp Twin Zenith Model.

From the description it may have some body rust challenges.

Thanks Wasserkul

Your car sounds very good, and I will keep it in mind, but Australian delivery through Hamiltons is what I am after. If it was owned by Jeff Carter all the better. Its the history behind my cars that keeps my interest going when it gets tough, and the cheques need writing. Learnt that the hard way over the years, and am determined to stick with the plan here.

Thanks Wasserkul

Your car sounds very good, and I will keep it in mind, but Australian delivery through Hamiltons is what I am after. If it was owned by Jeff Carter all the better. Its the history behind my cars that keeps my interest going when it gets tough, and the cheques need writing. Learnt that the hard way over the years, and am determined to stick with the plan here.

Better to write one big cheque up front then.

I know of a Hamiltons delivered Factory RHD 1965 Porsche Bodied 356C with factory/dealer fitted 100 Litre Fuel Tank. again, Light Ivory with red Leatherette interior. Original in all respects.

PM me your Budget as I'd suggest this one would be circa 90 - 100k relieve it from its current owner.

Just for my own understanding, Whats the big deal about Australian Delivered? If you buy a car , Buy on condition. I'm not having a go here just whenever I have bought I have bought the best I could find within my budget. Then again, You never know whats under the skin of these things and Body repairs are best done by artisans.

Really keen to understand your rationale!

Very Nice early 356C model looks like a perfect contender. Price is up there but they don't make them anymore.

Its been for sale for a while and may well be sold as it was on car sales as well, maybe still is?

Seems like $100k is the ticket to ride for an oz delivered factory rhd model at the moment.

I wouldn't part with my SC for any less.

Wasserkuhl

No rationale.

I just dont buy imports, only Australian delivered cars interest me.

Unless they are competition cars, ie, a 934, or something similar.

Even then though, look at the price of an australian delivered 964RS. Twice that of an import.

Ditto 993RS

Ditto GT3

History is king in my little car world.

Rgds

Thank you!

Nice set of 356's.

The A looks very sweet.

Ill make some calls and add some of them to my list of appointments in Victoria.

I've found some interesting 356's indeed and it's going to be interesting......

• 4 weeks later...

Very pleased to hear you nailed a nice 993, Stanley. Hope you are able to find a good 356 too.

As it turns out, just when I was getting close to a very nice 356, something else came up and so it's back to the track for me next year in a 1974 Carrera RS replica. Probably the only one ever built on an Australian delivered 930 Turbo chassis. I'll post a new addition thread on the right forum in due course.

Keep up the good fight.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Archived