MSD or similar, is it worth doing? Feedback appreciated.

tk111

Hi folks,

So after spending the better part of the last 6 months reading about webber carbs and ultimately rebuilding mine then slowly ironing out any tuning issues I still have a slight miss every so often.

I am thinking it is time to look at the spark side of the equation.

So my question is, do I jump straight in and upgrade to a MSD type system and refresh all the components in between whilst I am at it, or do I start with just refreshing leads and plugs and points, then see from there.

To be honest I am keen to go down the MSD path but just not sure if there is much to gain?

Anybody have an MSD before and after experience they can share?

..... from an SC distributor and a cheap Bosch electronic coil.

Hmm, funnily enough that is exactly what I have now!

Sounds like I should refresh the current leads points and plugs, then go from there.

Thanks

Mine came with the MSD fitted on a US spec 3.0 motor (C.I.S standard). Having driven it since July I have to say I think it is "punchier" than my old 3.2...... My take would be research as much as you can then what suits your taste & budget.......... It would be a big persuade job to get me to move from what is fitted outside of transplanting a 3.6 & I have to say it is tempting, but is it bang for buck for what I use her for?

Probably would step up to a 964 or a 993 and keep the old girl as she is........ I really like the MSD....... But am willing to listen........

LOL yeah prolly but it did go to a good home.

Think of it this way. M&W are used in almost every from of top level motorsport around the world. From V8 supertaxis to offshore race boats. This is not just because of performace it's because they don't go wrong.

MSD not so much...

On my modified early 911's we have either inherited MSD or fitted it ourselves. I don't know how a standard car would react, but we have gained considerable ease of use, and crispness as a result. They have felt punchier. It's not easy (impossible) to dyno a 911 here in WA so

we haven't bothered, but they certainly have run better. We have had no issues at al. Capacity has varied . 2.4S, 2.7RS, 3.4 single plug, 3.4MFI twin plug.

If the motors are standard, I wouldn't bother but I would make sure the standard gear is in top nick, ie, leads, distributor, etc, before getting carried away.

Archived