Soft Top Cleaning and Maintenance

mockney999

Hello Everyone

Can I ask for some input on 'best practise' for keeping the soft top of your Porsche clean and looking good.

I notice that the roof gets various bits and pieces, fluff etc stuck to it and its quite difficult to remove. I was thinking of using some type of soft brush but I dont want to damage the roof, so if you have some advice on the subject I would be pleased to hear from you.

Do Porsche have some kind of soft top maintenance kit that you can buy?

Many Thanks

There is a Porsche soft top conditioner and waterproofer (part number 000 044 000 91).  It's a hazardous material, so you'll prolly need to get it from your Porsche dealer.

If you want to go aftermarket, there's a product called Renovo.

The best thing you can do in the short term is to use a vacuum cleaner on the outside of the fabric roof as part of your cleaning regime.

• 10 months later...

I have a 986 boxter s 2001. Roof is in great nic but I would like to give it a bit of a "new look " as well also plastic rear window. Any advise would be appreciated .. Renovo sounds ok but what about on the window ?

VuPlex available at Auto-barn

Hose dust off during car wash. Use sparingly, don't over spray onto cloth top, use a very soft cloth, microfibre. :)

I also use meguires roof cleaning stuff. There is a cleaner and water proof spray. I have a glass rear window but there seem to be a few products that claim to be able to restore plastic windows (I think auto glym have one)

• 1 month later...

I have just given my Box a quick detail and used the product that FIRSTONE recommended for the plastic rear window, in a post above.

Got it from Autobarn.   Fantastic product, my plastic rear window looks terrific...well certainly lots better than it did. :D   

Very easy to use..

Spray on wipe off buff with soft cloth. 

• 2 months later...

I vouch by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Got it in pack of two with the 303 Convertible Top cleaner. Cleaned the hood with a soft brush and the cleaner, let dry, then applied the guard. 

Have treated my Cab roof with it and the water just pearls off every time. When wet I just take the waffle weave towel and it is instantly dry. No fluff, no stains. Applied two years ago and still going strong.

Car Care Products stock it

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/303_products/convertible_fabric_roof_cleaner_kit

I vouch by 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Got it in pack of two with the 303 Convertible Top cleaner. Cleaned the hood with a soft brush and the cleaner, let dry, then applied the guard. 

Have treated my Cab roof with it and the water just pearls off every time. When wet I just take the waffle weave towel and it is instantly dry. No fluff, no stains. Applied two years ago and still going strong.

Car Care Products stock it

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/303_products/convertible_fabric_roof_cleaner_kit

I'm with you 100 pissant.   303 High Tech Fabric Guard, excellent product....Put mine on a couple of years ago also and still excellent water repelling qualities. B)

VuPlex available at Auto-barn

Hose dust off during car wash. Use sparingly, don't over spray onto cloth top, use a very soft cloth. :)

Also had an ordinary plastic window, used VuPlex brought it up just about like new.   Another excellent product.

Before applying any waterproofing products to the soft top, I used to first vacuum the roof and then roll it with sticky tape to really remove any remaining dust and grit particles.  It was basically a paint roller thing with a reverse sticky tape product.  It was years ago, so don't remember what it was called - but got it off ebay cheap. 

For plastic rear windows, I really recommend Plexus.  It was developed by the U.S.A.F. for aircraft windows and canopies.  It also repels water in the rain.  It polishes the plastic window so good.  You can also use it on helmet visors.

For plastic rear windows, I really recommend Plexus.  It was developed by the U.S.A.F. for aircraft windows and canopies.  It also repels water in the rain.  It polishes the plastic window so good.  You can also use it on helmet visors.

Hi GRR, any idea where you purchased that Plexus?   Just googled it up and seems it only has one site which is U.S. and you have to buy it in qty's minimum of 12 cans.

I am still sold on the local Autobarn available VuPlex but would certainly give Plexus a go to see if it brings it up any better

Hi Niko,

long time mate, hope you are well. I use the 303 on the fabric top and highly recommend. Will give the VuPlex a go on the window. Have used mothers plastic polish but didn't do much.

regards

AndyS

Hi Andy, good to hear from you....you will be amazed at the VUPLEX sensational product.

Hope to see you on a coffee catch up or an SMT when you can make it.

Regards to Mick.

Cheers,

Niko

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived