Requirement for catalytic converter in VIC for 1986 Carrera

550Spyder

Team

I have spotted a tidy 3.2 litre 1986 Carrera in WA. It has SSI extractors and sports muffler but I cannot see any catalytic converters.

I am concerned that I will not be able to obtain a RWC in Victoria to re register the car without cats fitted.

Questions:

(1) How much trouble would I be letting myself in for to retrofit cats?

(2) assuming the owner still had the original exhaust system with cats in his garage, how much work to swap them over for the purpose of getting a RWC. Is this a couple of hour job for an amateur or a expensive and time consuming trip to the shop?

(3) has anyone been through this exercise?

Thanks.

Do they do a visual check, or an emissions check?

It's not unheard of for someone to gut an old cat and run a pipe straight through. Passes visual inspecton, as long as you don't actually get an emissions test.

Simple job but don't forget you need the cat sensor and the wiring intact to be complete unit..

My '85 has the wiring already to go for a cat Porsche,must have made them all that way whether they had cat or not.

Might be nice to know if it is the correct brain box for the model year too.

There really isn't any need to change it but once people start fiddling.

Could be an issue if they have used an earlier unit. Don't know for sure but maybe worth checking.

Dave

If SSI's are fitted then there's no place for a cat. The headers go straight into the muffler. You will need the later style cross-over system used on CIS engined cars if you want include a cat. for roadworthy. This will include different oil lines. Swapping over is not complicated although care is needed when removing the exhaust header flange nuts. 911's are notorious for snapping studs. Special spanners for the oil lines are also handy.

You should be ok for RWC as the 3.2's didn't have a cat they still had the pre-muffler / resonator and they were fitted with an exhaust gas temp sensor not a O2 sensor. I have seen many cars get through a RWC with SSI's with no problems. 

Mike. Thanks for the advice.

The seller tells me he still has the original exhausts and cat so if worst comes to worst I can put them back in. Strong preference is just to get a RWC with the SSI intact.

Will advise how I get on.

Archived