New Member Looking To Buy A Carrera

Hi guys I'm a newbie from Melbourne and I'm looking to purchase a certain Carrera a friend of a friend owns.

Below is all the information I currently have and  I don't know anything else but will meet with him in the next week or so , All i will add is that i have seen this car in the flesh and it looks the business.

*1979 or 1980 Porsche Carrera

* Guards red with factory Turbo body kit

*Australian Delivered RHD

*Paint and Body is 100% perfect and has had a full no cost expense re-spray ( 3 coats over clear i think        , I know this as my friend was the one who actually do the body work and re-spray a few years back)

*3 owners since new

*All handbooks and full service history i believe with toolkit

* Original fuchs rims have been polished

*270,000km on the clock 

*Interior complete and re-done maybe 10 years back but i have an auto-trimmer in the family so not worried , but as it stands pretty tidy (8/10)

*Currently registered and current owners has owned it for the last 10 years and has probably done about 20,000 ams in total

* Has new springs as its been lowered a touch 

Can`t remember if engine has been rebuilt or anything else like that but its amongst the questions i will be asking .

I would love to know what kind of money this car is worth just giving the information I have and I know currently but also what kind of questions i should be asking when i see him in the proceeding weeks. 

Finally should i be worried about the Km`s on the clock or would this be about right? I don't want to buy a car and then not be able to move it in a few years to buy a 930 due to the Km`s. So what would be a crash hot price on this bad boy??

All input , opinions and suggestions are more than welcome as Porsche is not my speciality as much as i would like it to be.

My plans for this car if it goes ahead would be to hopefully give it bait of a tune and exhaust upgrade and just drive it . 

Have tried to add 3 photos below of the car i took with an iPhone @ work 

Thanks Steve

photo-2_zpsf6d72f57.jpg

photo_zps85e87dac.jpg

photo-5_zpsb1a38915.jpg

Hi Steve,

At a quick glance;

- if it is indeed a 79 or 80 it is most likely not a carrera, probably an SC 3.0L (not a bad thing but something worth clarifying)

- they are not wide body (turbo) guards

2 important details that need to be clarified straight off - give us the VIN and some pictures of the engine and hopefully the details will then become clearer and more accurate!

It's a nice looking car but you want to be sure you know what it is your buying and hence establish value accordingly.

All comments and advice welcome!

See comments on your post:

Hi guys I'm a newbie from Melbourne and I'm looking to purchase a certain Carrera a friend of a friend owns.

Below is all the information I currently have and  I don't know anything else but will meet with him in the next week or so , All i will add is that i have seen this car in the flesh and it looks the business.

*1979 or 1980 Porsche Carrera - If its a Carrera and the side repeaters on the guards and the from fog lamps suggest it could be then it would 84 -89

* Guards red with factory Turbo body kit - rear spoiler in not a Turbo one and the wheels look like 6 and 7s Turbo spec would be 7-8s or 8-9's (i think)

*Australian Delivered RHD - this is good, very good:)

*Paint and Body is 100% perfect and has had a full no cost expense re-spray ( 3 coats over clear i think        , I know this as my friend was the one who actually do the body work and re-spray a few years back)

*3 owners since new

*All handbooks and full service history i believe with toolkit -this is good too and very important 

* Original fuchs rims have been polished - not to everyones taste but if its yours then fine.

*270,000km on the clock -if its not had a rebuild its going to need one early soon.

*Interior complete and re-done maybe 10 years back but i have an auto-trimmer in the family so not worried , but as it stands pretty tidy (8/10)

*Currently registered and current owners has owned it for the last 10 years and has probably done about 20,000 ams in total

* Has new springs as its been lowered a touch - has torsion bars not springs but do the same thing.

Going on the pics the car looks very nice.

Here my advice for what its worth ( and you will get better form other on here I'm sure):

If you have never driven one of these before then do so, and not just round the block! take it for a good drive and if you end up with a big grin on your face, its the car for you.

Then, friend or not get an independent PPI (pre-purchace inspection) there are people one here with local knowledge that can point you in the right direction.

This is my advise and comments, although not necessarily  correct:) your doing the right thing research,advise from knowledgeable sources (there is plenty one here.

Good luck

Thanks Hugh , So the Vin will determine if its a Carrera or not?

Is there a a decent price difference between and Carrera and an Sc3.0?

Also so this is not a wide body kit 100%?

thanks again

Steve

Yes, the VIN will provide the necessary details of;

- year of manufacture

- model

- country of delivery

So with the VIN we can then confirm what it is we have here. 100% that they are not turbo guards and as Caledonian mentions the side indicators and lower front lamps would indicate a 84-89 carrera. Someone else here can hopefully clarify the headlamp washer date as I am not sure what year/models had those particular ones (I'm thinking if was later as the earlier ones are the 'stalk' type). Looks like a 3.2 tail and yes that is not a 'turbo' tail either (as mentioned above). So unless he has the year wrong (pretty major detail to get wrong?) it indeed looks like a later model 3.2 carrera. Interested to confirm with the VIN though as they may have updated things along with the respray you mention.

The 2 models have varied values, mostly due to the engine and transmission. The later carrera has a 3.2L over the 3.0L SC, look more or less the same but are quite different cars indeed.

Hope that helps!

Welcome to the forum Steve. Looks like a 3.2 Carrera to me. I'd be surprised if someone would modify the front valance of an SC to put in the integrated fog lights. The black Porsche script in black between the tail lights suggests '84-'86. I'm thinking '84. No rear wiper, fender mounted radio antenna instead of windshield mounted and it looks like no child seat anchor points too.

Looks like a nice car either way. I love red, probably my favourite colour for the 80s Porsche. Not a fan of the wheels but they can easily be returned to their original colour. 3.2 prices seem to have increased substantially over the last couple of years. A great man once told me a good 3.2 will cost you $50k. You can get a good private sale example with no more to spend for $50k or you could pay $40k for one that you'll end up spending $10k on to get up to scratch. A pre purchase inspection will help work out what you should be paying. I think for a car with 270,000kms on it, if it hasn't had a rebuild, I'd be looking around $40k. Other cars currently advertised are asking quite a bit more than that but they're not selling so they can't be worth that much. If a PPI came up trumps then Id consider paying more. As they say, buy on condition, not on kms.

Get back to us on the finer details of the car though because if it is an SC dressed up as a 3.2, then I don't think it's a very desirable car if you want something that can be offloaded quickly if needed.

The front seats appear to be the later 86 onwards electric variety, seats out of a 79 80 have a different shape / profile...however aerial on guard may suggest its pre 86

ET light not correct for the year of the car if it's a 79 80 and rear wing hasn't had the black paint out

Still none of this should stop you buying the car if it's mechanically sound with a good body.. All minor things that can be corrected and only spotted by Porsche freaks such as us !

Hey Steve, don't be afraid of the Kilometers.

I encounter many cars with alot ks of that era and if they have been maintained properly it shouldn't pose a problem. Having said that a PPI is essential. A good Porsche will bring you lots of joy and the last thing you want is to buy something that will sit in the shop longer than sit in your garage. I have a customer with an 82 SC and it has clocked near on 750,000! Drives it everyday, and looks after it. Goes to show how good they can really be.

I encounter many cars with alot ks of that era and if they have been maintained properly it shouldn't pose a problem. Having said that a PPI is essential. A good Porsche will bring you lots of joy and the last thing you want is to buy something that will sit in the shop longer than sit in your garage. I have a customer with an 82 SC and it has clocked near on 750,000! Drives it everyday, and looks after it. Goes to show how good they can really be.

Thanks Man Cairns , I`m looking forward too finding out the finer details on this car. A PPI is on the top of my list if it turns out to be an honest car

thanks again

How many rebuilds on that engine/gearbox?

We performed a full engine rebuild in the mid 1990s and it has had 2 gearbox rebuilds in the time we have looked after it. Saying that one was due to a disgruntled ex wife. I hope to do a little story on it next time I see it for a service. I think what has helped it's longevity is the fact he drives it daily and looks after her. Porsches should be driven not hidden!

Archived