WTB Full set Fuchs wheels 16's 7x8

Black Pearl

Hi Rob,

I spent eight months looking myself last year. Daily fleabay searches etc. Came close a couple times but lucked out in the end.

I plan B'd in the end. Put the 6's & 7's on ice and fitted a set of copy (yeah, I know. Boo, hiss..) Euromeister 7's &8's. I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of finish and overall look. Most people can't pick them as fakes. I am still looking for originals but in the meantime they'll do.

Cheers

Michael

hi Michael

I spoke to the chat at Performance 9 bout the Euromeister. He seemed pretty nice and was up front asking me about whether id be tracking the car or just using her as a driver.... The price seemed reasonable although I'm not sure about how robust they'd be. Its great that they claim each rim is x-rayed to inspect for porosity. However there is a big difference between forged and low pressure diecast.

I spent my graduate years working as a die cast design engineer at CSIRO. The difference in strength is due to grain size of the metal after it is produced. Simply put, the forging process actually squeezes and aligns the grains into longer thinner patterns which contributes to improved strength. Low pressure diecast (high pressure not possible due to the larger wall thicknesses) cools slower in the die, thus resulting larger grains = lower strength. The water cooling helps but most of the improved strength will be on the surface rather than through to the core. 

Low pressure can still produce high quality at reasonable strength. High compression diesel common rail cylinder heads are made this way. The question is how strong is strong enough?

Would be great to see if the Euromeister wheels were strain/stress/impact tested and how that compares to the forged counter parts. 

How much of an issue is the availability of the 16" tyres......The Euromeisters come in 17" at a lower price for 7&9's. Any thoughts on how they look on a 3.2 narrow body?

Hi Rob,

I spent eight months looking myself last year. Daily fleabay searches etc. Came close a couple times but lucked out in the end.

I plan B'd in the end. Put the 6's & 7's on ice and fitted a set of copy (yeah, I know. Boo, hiss..) Euromeister 7's &8's. I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of finish and overall look. Most people can't pick them as fakes. I am still looking for originals but in the meantime they'll do.

Cheers

Michael

hi Michael

I spoke to the chat at Performance 9 bout the Euromeister. He seemed pretty nice and was up front asking me about whether id be tracking the car or just using her as a driver.... The price seemed reasonable although I'm not sure about how robust they'd be. Its great that they claim each rim is x-rayed to inspect for porosity. However there is a big difference between forged and low pressure diecast.

I spent my graduate years working as a die cast design engineer at CSIRO. The difference in strength is due to grain size of the metal after it is produced. Simply put, the forging process actually squeezes and aligns the grains into longer thinner patterns which contributes to improved strength. Low pressure diecast (high pressure not possible due to the larger wall thicknesses) cools slower in the die, thus resulting larger grains = lower strength. The water cooling helps but most of the improved strength will be on the surface rather than through to the core.

Low pressure can still produce high quality at reasonable strength. High compression diesel common rail cylinder heads are made this way. The question is how strong is strong enough?

Would be great to see if the Euromeister wheels were strain/stress/impact tested and how that compares to the forged counter parts.

How much of an issue is the availability of the 16" tyres......The Euromeisters come in 17" at a lower price for 7&9's. Any thoughts on how they look on a 3.2 narrow body?

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't track the car on the Euromeisters. Tyre availability/variety for 16's still seems pretty reasonable. I have only seen photos on forums of 17" fuchs copies fitted to narrow body 911's. Personally I prefer the look of the 16's.

I am also keeping an eye out for some period three piece Simmons (in std issues 80's gold centers!) in 16's. My ideal choice would be a period gold Campagnolo wheel set. I have only seen one photo (may be a member here) on a blue SC and they were stunning.

Enjoy the car. These things are simply addictive.

Cheers

Michael

P.S. Thanks for the tech' explanation on the different forging/casting processes. Shared knowledge like that makes this forum the place that it is.

I saw those. 2 newbie questions which come to mind? 

1) Would 9's fit at the back?

2) would the tires be suitable for road use or would they need to be changed?

Rob

As Tony says, the 9's should be fine (and will look awesome!). The tyres look ok from the photos, maybe worth checking the date on them though as old rubber is not the best. I'd think the wheels are worth that regardless - your getting the tyres for free!  :D

Just be aware with 9s that the only tyre you can get in Aus is the Toyo TR1. You can get a Bridgestone (can't remember which one) from overseas also but that's it. Note also that Toyo don't make the TR1 to suit the 7 so you'll have mismatched tyres front and back.

As Tony says, the 9's should be fine (and will look awesome!). The tyres look ok from the photos, maybe worth checking the date on them though as old rubber is not the best. I'd think the wheels are worth that regardless - your getting the tyres for free!  :D

I can confirm this; I run 7s and 9s on my 84 Carrera, tyre sizes rears 245 X 45 X 16; fronts 225 X 45 X 16, it is worthwhile to check the off sets on the offered set to ensure that they suit your car,

for the record my fronts are 7 X 16 with an ET of 23.3 (offset) and a 12.5mm spacer

rears

15mm off set, no spacer - But when we fitted them, AutoHaus Hamilton 'rolled' the inside of the mudguards for a bit more clearance.  I'm not sure if this was essential but they thought it advisable.

Price advertised for genuine, good condition Fuchs without kerb rash is at the top end of reasonable.  I've just imported a set of superb 17" forged wheels (for better tyre choice) from the US and they cost a whole lot more.

If you run bigger brakes than standard, be aware that there are two types of turbo wheels; one type has improved clearance over the caliper but I can't tell you how to tell the difference.

Going from the 15" rims that were on my car when it was delivered to 16" and at the same time and fitting turbo tie rod ends delivered more 'bang for buck' in terms of handling and feel than any of the myriad of other tweaks that I've done. I run Kumhos street legal dot tyres for both road and track, they won't give you much mileage but will give good grip.  Better than most track oriented tyres that I've tried in the rain but you still have to be extra careful in the wet.  (Aquaplaning without warning is deadly with any tyre of this type.)

As for the low street mileage, at the end of a year, the tyres have had so many heat cycles that even if there were any tread left, I would chuck them as they lose grip and become hard.  So far, remaining tread has not been an issue, I seem to have used most of the rubber without having to stress about that but this is a personal opinion.

Go for it and enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

So I fitted the Fuchs to my car on the w/e. They're 6&7's and while I appreciate the look of the bigger wheels, i am happy with these. The skinnier wheels kinda match the retro look of the car without a wing.

Having put them on the car I am now left with a surplus set of original 16" Simmons OM series in black which I am deciding whether to sell or keep as a back up. 

Any idea what they're worth? They're in good condition with some minor scrapes on the rear passenger side wheel. I've got some pics which I can post once I get some time online at home.

Cheers Rob

Archived