insurance? service? pre-purchase-inspection?

greetings

I am looking to buy a 2004-2006 997 (early 997, Gen 1), non-turbo, base model, rear drive.

I am a male, 54 years old, insurance rating 1.

Given I am new to Porsche and new to buying a used car (been buying brand new Mercedes and BMW cars for last 20+ years) I have some "rookie" questions:

1. Which insurance companies do you recommend?

2. Who should I use for PPI and how much it should cost?

3. Where should I take it for services and repairs?

4. If buying from reputable dealer such as Porsche Brighton or Porsche Richmond with warranty - should I still do PPI?

Thanks!

PPI it wherever you're buying it, it is highly possible you will buy an interstate car, most of us end up doing that for some reason or another? I don't know, its bloody weird, but it happens more often than not I'd say?

If you search, or ask we can recommend someone in any part of Aus really. Typically PPI costs between $300-500~ depending on how extensive it is? Engine compression test adds hours but its not so much an issue with these later model wartercooled beetles. I have read quotes as high as $800 mind you :lol:

If buying from PCM or PCB I'd trust them enough, but you can opt for an independent evaluation if that makes you feel comfortable... I've dealt with PCM people, they are good bunch. Cant speak for PCB sorry.

Insurance, the usual Shannon's, Lumley special vehicles OR even try NRMA and other major companies, when In was looking at 997, NRMA would insure it. Shop around.

Porsche service isn't that much dearer that most independent I have found..  so for scheduled services, I would recommend going there plus it is good on your resale.. for major items like tyres, brakes etc.. I do those on the gypsy DIY missions because you can save a packet. 

Good luck mate! 

1. Shannons are generally pretty good, worth a look.

2. Weltmeister are your biggest independent and would be across all things involving water cooled 911's; http://www.weltmeister.com.au/

Being in Brighton you may also try Jocaro; http://www.jocaromotors.com.au/

I know a few members use these guys and seem to be pleased. I would expect them to be more competitive than Weltmeister. I would expect a PPI to be anywhere from $400-$700 depending on who you use.

3. Either of the above.

4. Its a good idea to do one regardless, worth the investment IMO. 

greetings

I am looking to buy a 2004-2006 997 (early 997, Gen 1), non-turbo, base model, rear drive.

I am a male, 54 years old, insurance rating 1.

Given I am new to Porsche and new to buying a used car (been buying brand new Mercedes and BMW cars for last 20+ years) I have some "rookie" questions:

1. Which insurance companies do you recommend?

2. Who should I use for PPI and how much it should cost?

3. Where should I take it for services and repairs?

4. If buying from reputable dealer such as Porsche Brighton or Porsche Richmond with warranty - should I still do PPI?

Thanks!

Acid

I bought my first two cars from PCM and most recent from Brighton. If you are buying from PCM talk to Danny Hassakis or Peter Sullivan at Brighton talk to Jimmy.

When I bought my 993 I still did a PPI on it with Don Rowe at the time. The guys were all cool with having the car checked out. You will always get a larger variety of 2nd hand cars at PCM.

Insurance I have always been with MB Prestige. With warranty toy can always extend the porsche factory warranty to a maximum of 9 years from data of manufacture or registration cannot remember.

Arthur

with the early model 997's ... do research into IMS bearing issues. After the research you might want to factor in an IMS bearing fix of some sort.

thanks, yes, I just read the horrors of IMS bearing, it makes you want to forget the whole thing!!

Not sure how much to factor? how much does it cost to replace IMS bearing on a 997.1 with automatic transmission and how often does it need to be done???? Ideas?

thanks again

Acid

I bought my first two cars from PCM and most recent from Brighton. If you are buying from PCM talk to Danny Hassakis or Peter Sullivan at Brighton talk to Jimmy.

When I bought my 993 I still did a PPI on it with Don Rowe at the time. The guys were all cool with having the car checked out. You will always get a larger variety of 2nd hand cars at PCM.

Insurance I have always been with MB Prestige. With warranty toy can always extend the porsche factory warranty to a maximum of 9 years from data of manufacture or registration cannot remember.

Arthur

thank you! What is MB Prestige? Mercedes-Benz insurance?

Ive just insured my car for the first time in Australia and found that Porsche Sportscar Insurance offered through Porsche Financial Services was very competitive. Granted I took a 2-3 days a weeks policy but the coverage is excellent and ensures repairs are made through the genuine network.

pM me if you want the direct email address for them.

Archived