Boxter S Sat Nav

Monkey Hanger

Hi Guys, I am new to the Porsche owners club having just bought my wife an 2003 Boxter S. Without getting into any sympathy issues it was for her "5th Year Clear Of Cancer" gift I promised her when she was going through Chemo. To get to the point having never owned a Porsche before, understanding the PCM is still a work in progress, but the previous owner was unable to find the Sat nav disc and I would like to get it working for her birthday (30th March and official handover date!). I am hoping someone has a CD that they no longer need due to updating their maps. I am aware the maps would be dated but anything is better than nothing. I would of course cover any costs associated. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. If this is in the wrong section I apologise as it is my first post. 

Tony

monkeyha@optusnet.com.au

Hi Guys, I am new to the Porsche owners club having just bought my wife an 2003 Boxter S. Without getting into any sympathy issues it was for her "5th Year Clear Of Cancer" gift I promised her when she was going through Chemo. To get to the point having never owned a Porsche before, understanding the PCM is still a work in progress, but the previous owner was unable to find the Sat nav disc and I would like to get it working for her birthday (30th March and official handover date!). I am hoping someone has a CD that they no longer need due to updating their maps. I am aware the maps would be dated but anything is better than nothing. I would of course cover any costs associated. Thanks in advance for any help/advice. If this is in the wrong section I apologise as it is my first post. 

Tony

monkeyha@optusnet.com.au

Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new car and your wife's 5th Year Clear Of Cancer, it must have been a difficult journey for both of you and wish you both all the best of luck.

You can  get the latest CD through a Porsche dealer but a bit pricey. 

Hope to see some pics of your car.

Welcome Tony,

I have the same unit in my 03 Boxster & searched for updated CD, but unfortunately they are not available since 2008. Reason being that a CD doesn't have enough space for the mapping data, hence the change to DVD.

Kenwood make a aftermarket unit that will slot straight in ($1200) but you lose all onboard info, I went for a tomtom iPhone app instead.

Welcome Tony,

I have the same unit in my 03 Boxster & searched for updated CD, but unfortunately they are not available since 2008. Reason being that a CD doesn't have enough space for the mapping data, hence the change to DVD.

Kenwood make a aftermarket unit that will slot straight in ($1200) but you lose all onboard info, I went for a tomtom iPhone app instead.

Far be it for me to suggest..,but these are just CDs. They can be copied.

Find out who actualy makes the unit and which other manufacturers used the system. Backin those days ther was only about two or three companies producing satnav - I think Philips carin and one other type were common. Point being you mightn't find a Porsche disc, but you might find one for a Peugeot or a Hyundai or soemthing. In Australia the data publishers were 'whereis' I think.

Have a browse around the forum, this same question has been asked on here a few times before. From memory the answer is you're in trouble and really have to replace the original unit with aftermarket. I think the reasons given were firstly the CD doesn't hold enough data for current maps, secondly new units use DVD and can't be copied onto CD (see reason 1) and also that the mapping provider may had changed or gone bust. Others have used borrowed 2008? cds and just live with old maps.

There are excellent aftermarket head units available with satnav, Bluetooth, digital radio, smartphone connectivity etc., just not going to be original equipment.

Far be it for me to suggest..,but these are just CDs. They can be copied...

You'da thunk so (and so would I).

But before the system will take data from a copied CD, it needs to "see" an original CD.  

This is what I've been told by the guy who does our installs.

You'da thunk so (and so would I).

But before the system will take data from a copied CD, it needs to "see" an original CD.  

This is what I've been told by the guy who does our installs.

So what you're saying is they've got you by the short and curlys.

My car doesn't need any sort of original cd - it runs a Philips Carin system using whereis maps. 

I would find it very strange that a car needs an original CD.  Given the data has to be stored on the CD, and a copy just takes that data from one to the other, I don't understand how a unit could detect an original from a copy.  Not saying they didn't develop the technology... but I have never heard of it.

THe story about 'not fitting on one CD' is a phurphy.  Sure, the data doesn't fit on one cd.  When this is the case, they sell you a natty little carry case with lots of CDs in it.  I have a lovely 6-CD set covering western Europe.  That is why they went to DVD, but it never prevented CDs being used in the first place.

My Australia CD is hopelessly out of date now.  It only covers the major cities and highways anyway.

Archived