993 Turbo vs 997 GT2

Simonoz

I've had some interest in writing a comparison between these two 911's, so while I'm waiting for the AGP thought I'd give it a go. I'm not a journalist just an enthusiast, so please cut me some slack.

Firstly, and perhaps most interestingly, my wife loves the red 993 Turbo. When asked why, she can't quantify it, she just does. I think it's because it truly is a glamour puss in red. When parked this car attracts people like few other 911's, the GT2 included.

I've done a thousand kilometres in each car over the past fortnight. As stationary items, the 993 Turbo wins. It has a quality of build that is undeniable. The door shuts with the classic 911 twang. The interior is stark but of quality. Amusingly for a $300.000 car, it has no steering column adjustment, but it just doesn't matter. Everything is in synch, so while the offset driving position might confuse you initially if you're not a 911 person, it all works effectively when you're underway.

The GT2 has more space, the interior fittings are lighter both in build and operation, and it is altogether more modern in feel. However well built it is, it doesn't have the Swiss vault feel of the 993 Turbo when you're sitting in it waiting to go.

That doesn't matter once you're underway. The GT2 is overwhelmingly tight to drive, with all controls beautifully weighted. The rhubarb you'll read in motoring journals about a heavy gearshift is just that, rhubarb. The shift is magnificent, and only a pillock would struggle with it. The power is just delicious, and certainly addictive, but like all 911's you can dawdle along in it and still derive great satisfaction from the precision it delivers.

The 993 Turbo can initially feel slow compared to the GT2, but that is a deception. When you have recalibrated your mind to the different feel of the older car, it still packs a wallop, a very good wallop. My car has always had a very strong motor, certainly the equivalent of the X50 in performance, and it still can be used very effectively on the road as a means of overtaking. The brakes are as good as they ever were, and the AWD chassis lets you lean on it so that your point to point times can be very minimal, either within the road rules or not. The smaller size of the 993 Turbo also means you can place the car on the road and really enjoy all the lane you have, without issue. Overall still a very satisfying way to travel, but with one caveat.

My 993 Turbo has Bilstein HD dampers in excellent condition, and it is aligned to perfection, but the ride quality and stability are inferior to the GT2. It is the one area of truly significant difference between the two cars. The GT2 suspension is quite incredible. It soaks up bad roads, gives great turn in when pressing on, and yet is so precise. To squeeze the power on when exiting a third gear corner in the the country is one of life's great pleasures in this car. To feel the leverage of the rear engine just walking the rear out an inch or two, feeling the corner tighten as a result, is just worth every penny. So long as it is dry however, as in bad weather I wouldn't be surprised if the 993 Turbo would be faster point to point, all the while more relaxed.

One fascinating point. The GT2 is amazingly economical, currently averaging 10.8 l/100kms. I live in the country, and know it won't be anywhere near a s good in the city, but to achieve that with 530hp is amazing to me. Porsche stated on manufacture that the GT2 was a lot more efficient than the same Turbo, and it appears they were spot on as usual. Mind you the 993 Turbo will do similar numbers so have things really moved on much at all?

Perhaps in summary, I can say this. If you want a daily driver, buy a 997 Turbo and you will be delighted. The GT2 will also do it, with style, but it's a sharper tool and without the AWD set up, won't be as foolproof. That's not my current usage, and I made the right decision for me with no regrets. The 993 Turbo won't compete with the 997 in either derivative as a daily driver with it's older air conditioning system, but age aside it could still be a very enjoyable car to use regularly.

If you want something special to keep in the garage, that's a different story. If you're an air cooled person, then the 993 Turbo sits top of the pile. It's so good looking, so well built, and so far ahead of its time in its performance, it's no wonder the dealers and public alike keep it's values high. To the general public it's all Porsche represents in the best possible way.

The GT2 will have its day as the last of the manual twin turbo GT Mezger engined cars. It's not a car with which you casually throw the keys to someone and offer them a drive. It's just so quick, so precise, and so understated while it does it, that a novice could have a monumental accident in it despite stability and traction control. I would and could drive this car everyday, compete in it on weekends, and do my best to wear it out, without any qualms at all, but I like hairy monsters and am fortunate to have experience in them. It has moved the refinement along from the 996 GT2, in the incremental way only Porsche can do it, and we are lucky to have it.

So, going forward, we are going to bring Wendy up to speed by introducing her to the 993 Turbo and make it "her" 911 in a sense. Her enthusiasm for Porsches has risen a notch since she got the Cayenne, and she can steer, so it will be nice to see what she thinks over time. She might not ever "get it" but I hope she does, and becomes another convert. It doesn't mean I won't drive it of course, but it will help it get used more and it's important with 911's to keep them running properly through regular use.

I've missed out a lot I'm sure so if there's anything specific you'd like to know just ask. For what it's worth, if I had to choose I couldn't just now.

Thanks Simon, I feel so much better now only having one Porsche, you are such a trouble maker! When my wife finds about the second porsche you're getting the blame. Really enjoyed the read, & you're right, these are not cars you give to novices to drive.

Archived