PORSCHE at LEMANS, wanna go?

I do , but unfortunately my side trip to see the place happens about a month before!

Have to content myself with the museum , the Mulsanne straight and a glass of local red!

Make sure you have that glass of red in the 'Restaurant des Hunaudieres' on the Mulsanne.

You may not have the race cars buzzing by but with a bit of luck there may still be a 2cv rattling past.

You will have to use you imagination but you wont have to try hard, I promise.

Back in '81, oh so long ago, my mate Gary also a PFA member and I were lucky enough to dine there the Saturday night of the race albeit in the stables out the back.

The atmosphere was still absolutely electric.

After the race on Sunday we went back and had dinner there as well and would you believe that was the same place the Porsche team chose to eat. The winners Jacky Ickx and Derek Bell were there fresh from their triumph in the Jules #936.

A never to be repeated experience. I have manged to get to Le Mans twice more since then but never could capture that magnificent first time.

Don't they always say there is nothing like you first time.

Lucky bugger Tassieman I wish I was coming with you.

P.S. Gary was wearing his brand new Porsche jacket at the time which he still has covered in plastic in his wardrobe.

Archived