So whats next now that the Boxster is about to go?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Amanda come along to Garrazzi in Seddon, close for you , on Sunday April 13th 8.00-10.00am , I think a few of the cars who were at Flemington are coming along. David/Sandra

If I can get there ;)  I'll be there! 

Yes - not many are on board with my choice are they Tit!

Thanks for your advice on them. I'm hooked, I feel excited about getting one. Frankly the mx5 is boring compared to the little beast r53 I drove :)

Sure, let me know when you are in town :)

Here's some inspiration:

SSR_small.jpg

6413619395_5e03a291a1_b.jpg

7995810294_9a8a42322a_b.jpg

Some cruises I've been on over the years:

Adelaide (yes..they are all minis):

i-Rw6tPXH-M.jpg

i-VvDpMWJ-M.jpg

Sydney:

i-z7NSknF-M.jpg

i-R9dKtxq-M.jpg

I personally can't stand the chrono pack - I think it looks #@@.  ONLY Australia got the centre tacho (due to ADR's) Rest of the world had tacho over steering wheel.  So that makes the non-chrono cars in Australia unique...

I very rarely looked directly at the tacho because my mini(s) are road cars, not track cars...On my R56, though, it has the tacho over the steering wheel and digital speed in the tacho.  So I never look at the main speedo. 

Having said that, on the R53 the car is so small that the tacho is always in your field of view - you'll get used to it.

PS: The super-charger is nice and noisy as soon as you make some choice mods...you can drive the car on sound quite easily...

Cheers SteveF - honestly, even if one popped up this week, not sure i'd go for it anyways.  I need that mortgage gone... then can do the Porsche thing worry free.

Hey Tit if you are about - want to ask you a question.

After driving the Porsche with the pronounced center Taco right in front of me..  would the non-chrono pack be hard to live with? Is it weird glancing to the centre of the car? I loved the large central taco in the 987, it was what I looked at most. I drove the car to the revs... so not sure if I'd like it in the big centre gauge or not.

cp5692702492809337472.jpg?height=700&asp

I think that one was about 60.  ClubMini birthdays were around 50 and the 50th anniversary thing in Sydney was over 100 cars on a cruise - mixed old and new.

Mini runs probably don't pull those numbers anymore.  Unless it's mixed classic and "Bini" (BMW-Mini - as called by the classic mini owners).

Awesome!!! How many in that convoy? Holy moly!

I personally can't stand the chrono pack - I think it looks #@@.  ONLY Australia got the centre tacho (due to ADR's) Rest of the world had tacho over steering wheel.  So that makes the non-chrono cars in Australia unique...

I very rarely looked directly at the tacho because my mini(s) are road cars, not track cars...On my R56, though, it has the tacho over the steering wheel and digital speed in the tacho.  So I never look at the main speedo. 

Having said that, on the R53 the car is so small that the tacho is always in your field of view - you'll get used to it.

PS: The super-charger is nice and noisy as soon as you make some choice mods...you can drive the car on sound quite easily...

Cheers for that Tit.  I agree the US version with tacho in front of driver and elec speedo is a winner. And the big MINI speedo in the middle ala the classics is cooler. Strange we got a different vs down here!

I don't think I'll have this as a concern as far as what i choose go. I'll look for the best example in my budget.

Looking at an electric blue 2005 one owner, full history with 132 thou on the clock on Sat for $12900 at this stage. I'd be well stoked if I got what I wanted for that coin.

Yeh I'd do the mods later maybe. See how I feel about the car 'as is' first.

Common and recommended mods:

Round 1 (good for 125-130kw at the wheels)

15% reduction pulley on supercharger

Alta intake

Tune (RMW or similar)

22mm rear sway bar

Non-runflat tires

M7 strut 'defenders' or M7 front strut brace

Round 2

Coil overs such as kW v1

Front Camber plates

Rear adjustable lower control arms

Decent cat-back exhaust, such as miltek

Check out these custom shift knobs...I've had two and they were awesome:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

Amanda - sad news to let the porsche go.

We all need our mortgages gone - LOL - but there is enough room in my porsche for a family of 4 if I had to let the house go.

Luckily the wife doesn't read the forum.

WRX 1999 - 2 door sti - $20-25k gets a nice example.

I'd put one away - i think this is the next generation of collector cars.

Aussie delivered Skyline r32 - another well price car.

Both fun to drive - if I had a spare $20k and the space its what I'd buy.

Common and recommended mods:

Round 1 (good for 125-130kw at the wheels)

15% reduction pulley on supercharger

Alta intake

Tune (RMW or similar)

22mm rear sway bar

Non-runflat tires

M7 strut 'defenders' or M7 front strut brace

Round 2

Coil overs such as kW v1

Front Camber plates

Rear adjustable lower control arms

Decent cat-back exhaust, such as miltek

Check out these custom shift knobs...I've had two and they were awesome:

http://www.whalenshiftmachine.com

I gotta find a car first! So will these mods make it a jimtt 911 TT killer? :P

The question is do I pony up a bit extra (in some cases nearly 5 grand :o) for a car with less km on it or is 132k alright on these cars?

That's hard to say with out comparing the two cars in question... Colour, options, condition etc? I wouldn't be scared of 132,000 km of it was well looked after and had everything I wanted.

Last I heard my first R53 had 260,000km on it and was still going strong...

I gotta find a car first! So will these mods make it a jimtt 911 TT killer? :P

The question is do I pony up a bit extra (in some cases nearly 5 grand :o) for a car with less km on it or is 132k alright on these cars?

I was thinking about both these cars yesterday. Don't see many r32s anymore. They must have all been drifted into walls...

Amanda - sad news to let the porsche go.

We all need our mortgages gone - LOL - but there is enough room in my porsche for a family of 4 if I had to let the house go.

Luckily the wife doesn't read the forum.

WRX 1999 - 2 door sti - $20-25k gets a nice example.

I'd put one away - i think this is the next generation of collector cars.

Aussie delivered Skyline r32 - another well price car.

Both fun to drive - if I had a spare $20k and the space its what I'd buy.

That's hard to say with out comparing the two cars in question... Colour, options, condition etc? I wouldn't be scared of 132,000 km of it was well looked after and had everything I wanted.

Last I heard my first R53 had 260,000km on it and was still going strong...

It would take me about 12 years to put another 120,000km on the 132,000 car!

Well it's a one owner, seller sounded really good. I'm gonna go look at it on Sat morning.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/MINI-Cooper-2005/SSE-AD-2671316

And as an example of less km

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/MINI-Cooper-2005/SSE-AD-2663145

ooh..the $17k one has those lovely 2-piece R90 wheels....love the hyper-blue on black as well.

The $5k difference on the Electric Blue one would cover most of the mods in my list...

Personally I'd go the $17k one because that's the exact colour combo and wheels I'd pick if I ordered it new, but it's not my budget... :P

I'm a bit late to this thread but if you'd like to stay in the family and still have a bit of fun, Marti loved her Scirocco R before she got the 911 S on the latest lease.

You can get a new one or low km demo from the mid to high 40's now fully kitted. if you're looking to lease Amanda let me know, a good friend of mine has his own private leasing company Diamond Executive Leasing and Gary has done all Marti's lease cars for her, he always tries to leave a bit of meat on the bone for us at the end of the term so we get a bit back tax free over the payout figure..

Cheers Al

They're good...but a bit outside of the budget (plus they have those F#@$#@$ DSG gearboxes)...

The wife and I had a chance to flog one on a far away race-track before they arrived in Australia in 2010...was great fun...

i-vM4DmWd-M.jpg

I'm a bit late to this thread but if you'd like to stay in the family and still have a bit of fun, Marti loved her Scirocco R before she got the 911 S on the latest lease.

You can get a new one or low km demo from the mid to high 40's now fully kitted. if you're looking to lease Amanda let me know, a good friend of mine has his own private leasing company Diamond Executive Leasing and Gary has done all Marti's lease cars for her, he always tries to leave a bit of meat on the bone for us at the end of the term so we get a bit back tax free over the payout figure..

Cheers Al

Actually the R model doesn't have the DSG that has the problems it already has the higher spec box. There was no recall on the Scirocco R's. Though in saying that if I was buying one to hold onto I'd get the manual version but if it's just a couple of year lease then the DSG is fine.

Cheers Al

Archived