So whats next now that the Boxster is about to go?

Amanda,

I have been following this with interest. Sorry the Boxster has gone but I can understand the attraction of the mini. Not sure why there is not more love for them here - they seem like a great little car. I will certainly be considering one when the need arises for a more day to day car.

Hopefully we won't lose your entertaining and regular posts to one of the mini forums!

Any weekend progress?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amanda,

I have been following this with interest. Sorry the Boxster has gone but I can understand the attraction of the mini. Not sure why there is not more love for them here - they seem like a great little car. I will certainly be considering one when the need arises for a more day to day car.

Hopefully we won't lose your entertaining and regular posts to one of the mini forums!

Any weekend progress?

Thanks baso - that's nice of you to say!

Yes actually, I've put a deposit on one pending a PPI. Will update you all on Friday once it's complete.

:)

They are a great little car. Spunky on the outside and handle the way they look! I've picked a good replacement for ME.

Seems to me that 911 prices are stagnating , if not falling , with the exception of some scarce variants and older cars.

The older guys want , and can afford the new models , the younger guys probably go after Rexs and the like  , and those in the middle are saddled with SUVs because they are in the family way?

Which leaves , to use a Black Adderism , cheap " rampant totty for the rest of us"  :)

If they hadn't made so many ,  out of good steel too , it might be different.

So a 73 911s should stagnate around $295k usd B-)

I did say "with the exception of some scarce variants and older cars"!

Though it's a bit like the big boy's version of a Myer spring sale. "Oh no I might miss out". Even grown men act emotionally. 

The '73s are collector's items,  and I suspect most are squirrelled away as long term investments -  given the market suggests classic cars are the best of all investments right now.

For the rank & file wanting to get into the 911 scene , it is a tough neighbourhood. Knowledge is power.

Geriatric owners let routine maintenance slip (it's expensive , and hard to DIY when you are old)

Mechanically neglected cars can often look nice on the outside. Cosmetic medicine pays better than preventative medicine, human nature dictates that!

Early 911s are worth (or cost) squillions because they made fewer and they rusted. Supply vs demand + hype/nostalgia = $$$

Everything post 74 , bar some rare models is not (given the cost of upkeep) what I would deem a great investment. Except the ones you drive and drive and drive  :) 

Cold & clinical is the only sane way to approach purchase of older cars. For mine , it's crucial to ensure that fun is the interest earned on the "investment".

Cheers Josh - yep and you get a lot of car (albeit a small car) for your money!  I've always loved the styling of them from the moment they hit the road.. last time I nearly bought one I went for the GTI instead.  But this time around, drove a modded one and that was that. I knew it was a good fun car for me post 987.

I'm talking $12,500 on the one I'm getting a PPI on tomorrow :) 

Archived