So whats next now that the Boxster is about to go?

Well - I think it's going, having PPI now and given the last one was only 4000km ago and nothing has happened to the car since, I'm assuming it'll be 100% a-ok

Porsche what a brand this is, its really gotten under my skin.. so much so that selling this car has been one of the hardest things I've had to do emotionally in some time. It's really messed me up a bit.  But you know what? If this is hardship, bring it on.. cos lets face it, its not a big deal in the scheme of the things life can throw at you.

As we all know - I did much research buying a Porsche, bought what I did because I didn't want to have to maintain an older car and was scared of maintaining an older car.  That has not changed, so the 928, 944s etc are not for me now. 

I even contemplated a 986 but I can't afford a S which is the only version I'd want + adding IMS bearing on top of that.. to much $$$ - this makes no sense now, and takes me back to almost the realms of 987 ownership.

So until the mortgage is paid off, I will not be having a Porsche. I'm 3-4 years out from that time - if no more curve balls are thrown and maintain current life status.

I'm on the hunt for a 2004 - 2006 MINI Cooper S (R53) the supercharged variety. I know these also have a few issues that can pop up, but they aren't massive.. its not a daily driver and I know what I'm getting myself into.

So thats where I'm at fine PFA folk :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll still be around. I'll hang out at local events.. maybe come as a passenger on the odd SMT (if I don't get sick that is) or maybe you'll see a MINI in your review mirror, lurking in the shadows, following behind.. in the far off distance like a true stalker!

Oh and I will be putting my PFA sticker on it too so nurrrrrr  if you don't like it tough!  

You'll still be lurking Amanda , we need at least one female to moderate the behaviour around here  :)

Best of luck with the Mini etc , & if you're in Hobart , I'll offer you a fang in the 928 , if you're not afraid of old school German V8s  :ph34r: the gentleman's equivalent of the phase 3 GTHO.

You'll still be lurking Amanda , we need at least one female to moderate the behaviour around here  :)

Best of luck with the Mini etc , & if you're in Hobart , I'll offer you a fang in the 928 , if you're not afraid of old school German V8s  :ph34r: the gentleman's equivalent of the phase 3 GTHO.

I'm not afraid of anything!  I had a pink xy gt replica remember :)

I'll deffo hang about - probably not as frequently as I have been tho. 

I think the Air Cooled Targa will always be a car I lust after and admire, but not sure I'd buy one... I do like my mod cons, from a safety and air/con point of view.  Everytime I get in one, I remember why I didn't buy one.

But geez they are soooo gorgeous to look at :D

When this 

160820916.jpg?height=290&aspect=centered

Or this 

cp5471516966581328011.jpg?height=290&asp

Drops by another 30 - 40% in value - which I suspect they will, thats the type of next car I can see myself getting

^^ unlike the U.S. where the top goes down and the price goes up (so they keep saying) at least here in Australia you can be assured that the top goes down the price also goes down! :lol: 

Paying off your mortgage is living the dream IMO... so definitely pursue it! you are so close :) 

As we all know - I did much research buying a Porsche, bought what I did because I didn't want to have to maintain an older car and was scared of maintaining an older car.  That has not changed, so the 928, 944s etc are not for me now. 

I think if you buy a good older car you wont necessarily be paying out big time for maintenance.

Equally you don't have to buy a perfect older car, but you can know what you are in for and get things done over time.

Lastly, and this is a generalization, the maintenance cost on a good condition "desirable" classic can commonly be less than the depreciation on a modern car.

Depreciation is the greatest cost in general car ownership (I'm not referring to classic cars).

Amanda, the air cooled 3.2's are bullet proof and i'd say will be just as reliable as a modern 911.

The running costs are not that high, costs me about 1k a year to maintain my 3.2

Insurance is cheaper, the car is appreciating in value as opposed to depreciating

dont be scared to buy something old that has been looked after.

Not lots of love for minis in here! An R53 will turn with the best of them, including mx5s. It will out accelerate an mx5, is more practical, and frankly less boring.

Amanda, the missus and I are passing through Melbourne mid April. Perhaps we can show you what a sorted mini is capable of...

Not lots of love for minis in here! An R53 will turn with the best of them, including mx5s. It will out accelerate an mx5, is more practical, and frankly less boring.

Amanda, the missus and I are passing through Melbourne mid April. Perhaps we can show you what a sorted mini is capable of...

Yes - not many are on board with my choice are they Tit!

Thanks for your advice on them. I'm hooked, I feel excited about getting one. Frankly the mx5 is boring compared to the little beast r53 I drove :)

Sure, let me know when you are in town :)

Cheers SteveF - honestly, even if one popped up this week, not sure i'd go for it anyways.  I need that mortgage gone... then can do the Porsche thing worry free.

Hey Tit if you are about - want to ask you a question.

After driving the Porsche with the pronounced center Taco right in front of me..  would the non-chrono pack be hard to live with? Is it weird glancing to the centre of the car? I loved the large central taco in the 987, it was what I looked at most. I drove the car to the revs... so not sure if I'd like it in the big centre gauge or not.

cp5692702492809337472.jpg?height=700&asp

Archived