Respray / repaint

Team

I know we have some panel beaters on the forum. Becoming frustrated with waiting for the right car to come up I am mulling around other options.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the cost of a good quality same colour Respray for a porsche 993 ( assuming no rust or other panel damage).?

I had one done (glass out) by my insurance company after someone kindly left a car battery in the centre of the road. It sprayed battery acid over the car and covered every panel with black dots.

It cost about 10K but that was at least 5 years ago on a 3.2 911

it's very much a how long is a piece of string proposition- a good job, depending on what they have to work with, could be 6-12k depending who you ask and what specifics you want. and it goes up from there!

+1

BTW most expensive quote will not necessarily give you the best job either.

OK, what about the car that has a very desirable original duco, one that I wish to maintain, but one also with the obligatory small rust spots showing through which I want to deal with on an individual basis - i.e.: not a full respray.

Any recommendations from whose who have had some success in this regard (in Melb)?

OK, what about the car that has a very desirable original duco, one that I wish to maintain, but one also with the obligatory small rust spots showing through which I want to deal with on an individual basis - i.e.: not a full respray.

Any recommendations from whose who have had some success in this regard (in Melb)?

I'll send you a PM some contacts/options. 

depends where the rust spots are - under the sills etc no problem patching them up.

if it's on a large visible panel like say a door- you'll have to paint the door. and then the paint sometimes won't match the rest etc

Won't have any change out of $15K. There will be seals and rubbers you will need to change also

What are you looking for in "the right car"?

Great question. As Porsche fever ( and associated frustration) rages out of control it is a good opportunity for my own clarity to commit to writing exactly what I am after. I have been looking for six months and now getting the emotional exhaustion associated with a long chase. Given my time again I would have brought two cars along the way ( benefit of hiedsight).

What the right car looks like -

(in order of buying preference)

(1) wide body RSR replica, ideally no cage , ideally based on a SC or Carrera 3.2 ( the one in NZ at the right price would fit the bill ok)

(2) australian delivered Carrera wide body option 491, preferably g50 and full leather

(3) smart 3.2 Carrera backdate to RS / ST / outlaw properly done by Zag or similar

(4) failing all else , a 993 C4s with sub 100,000km.

Having schooled on the forum, 'good looks like' a car with a through service history, good provenance, no accident damage and while it will end up being driven at the high end of 'sportingly', a great starting point would be councours or close.

While there are plenty of C4s around, quality options in the first three are few and far between. I am realistic enought to understand that my limits are polishing / changing oil and anything too much more sophisticated than that will involve cheque book restoration, which as I am time poor is not my preference.

Looking through photo galleries on the various porsche clubs I know these cars exist and I am not delusional but clearly they don't come up for sale that often. Unfortunately patience is not my strong point.

If you know of something that fits the bill then I am all ears.

Have you spoken to the guys at Zag?

If not it's worth giving them a call or shooting them an email (call if you can as you get a better response I find) and let them know what you are looking for and to give you a call if one comes up. Speaking to them a lot of the cars they have built return to them when the owners looking to upgrade or sell, mine did. They then on sell them to people like yourself or touch them up and then The Classic Throttle shop or the likes grabs them. Could be worth a call.

I did notice their website is down, I hope their still operating.

Archived