SC Hot Rod on a budget?

TCR

looks like phil's old car, gee it was nice.

though i like his new car too :D

I didn't know the owner, but knew he did a heap of track days in it. I drove it when Q had it on consignment. Thought long and hard about it, but at $65K I thought it expensive. The market didn't, as it changed hands quickly. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do the tyres cost in 15" al?

Allot  :) about $600 a corner if I buy them locally. Stuckey's and a couple of others can get them. It's not significantly cheaper to buy them from OS which is unusual, I'm trying to get TireRack to carry them :D 

Luckily I got two sets with the car and both were pretty much new.

Cheers Al

I didn't know the owner, but knew he did a heap of track days in it. I drove it when Q had it on consignment. Thought long and hard about it, but at $65K I thought it expensive. The market didn't, as it changed hands quickly. 

ah yep definitely phil's car then- had the same DP lip as me, built 3.2 out to 3.4, very well sorted car. i think he did a 60s flat at lakeside, not bad for it's age!

he's just done a yellow SC with 3.6 now, will be a weapon

Allot  :) about $600 a corner if I buy them locally. Stuckey's and a couple of others can get them. It's not significantly cheaper to buy them from OS which is unusual, I'm trying to get TireRack to carry them :D 

Luckily I got two sets with the car and both were pretty much new.

Cheers Al

haha i figured. thought about 15"s, but i need 255 on the rear- kind of weird size for 15".

how do you rate them? good enough for street and track?

ah yep definitely phil's car then- had the same DP lip as me, built 3.2 out to 3.4, very well sorted car. i think he did a 60s flat at lakeside, not bad for it's age!

Pfft my MX5 does low 61's out of 1.8L and is 20 years old. :)

Yeah it went like stink, but I drove Q's 997 GT3 RS right after, so I kind of fogot about it!

IMO, get a car thats already done work to it if budget is playing a large part in it.
If you want the experience of having a stock car and changing it to your taste, by all means. But you can get so much more for your dollar if you get someones finished (or even half finished) project.
I might be a little biased, Im one of the members Sam refereed to in picking up a project car, sure, Ive had to sort a couple of things out and get familiar with the car's character both mechanically and philosophically, but to build a car of same structure would be 3x the cost.

And some inspiration (maybe? haha).  

1483796_10153677934570076_1663884737_o.j

Archived