SC Hot Rod on a budget?

TCR

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah had a look at this yesterday. Hard to tell from the pretty ordinary photos, but it does seem to tick a lot of boxes. Would change the wheels and rear wing and remove the decals but fairly minor things I suppose in the scheme of things.

Bit concerned how the 915 box would hold up to the 3.6L engine?

Also think I'd have a bit of an issue getting the full cage, race seats and harnesses mod plated here in QLD.

Yes, but since NCOP has been adopted here in QLD you can't get a 6 point cage approved anymore, half cage only I believe.

I'm really starting to think that a track/weekend drive car isn't really practical and I should just buy something more practical and comfortable to cruise around in on the weekends and stick to dedicated race cars for the track.

Ultimately I suppose, there are ways around it if you really want something along those lines. I think the cons of having a cage, race seats and harnesses in a "road" car though are starting to out weigh the pros.

Just say for instance you had a car with an engineered (blue plated) 1/2 cage in it. Could you in theory extend it into a full cage without changing the plate? ie is the code for 1/2 and full cage the same?

What do targa guys do? Their cars have to be road registered and you'd be mad to take on a Tassie gumtree without a full cage around you. 

Back 1/2 is currently welded in, but the side intrusion bars are bolted in. I'd like to keep the back 1/2 and completely redesign the front to incorporate front legs, a length across the top of the windscreen and maybe ever under dash. All welded in. 

Also eventually I'd like to build something else. Probably a 3.2L E36 M3. It would need a full cage, but would also need to remain road registered. 

My last two cars had 6 point weld in cage with bolt in side intrusion bars. Don't think it matters whether it's bolt in or weld in.

Not sure how the targa guys get away with it, but even with a full cage I reckon those guys are mad :)

I'll still like the SC Hot Rod idea but maybe something a little less hardcore (minus cage, seats and harnesses) and stick to dedicated race cars for the track.

Also eventually I'd like to build something else. Probably a 3.2L E36 M3. It would need a full cage, but would also need to remain road registered. 

will follow this with interest if it happens :D

My last two cars had 6 point weld in cage with bolt in side intrusion bars. Don't think it matters whether it's bolt in or weld in.

Not sure how the targa guys get away with it, but even with a full cage I reckon those guys are mad :)

I'll still like the SC Hot Rod idea but maybe something a little less hardcore (minus cage, seats and harnesses) and stick to dedicated race cars for the track.

i still reckon the one above would be ideal, just pull the cage out and soften the suspension a touch :P

It's definitely worth considering, but being a weld in cage, it's makes it a little more difficult to "pull" out. I'm never going to be putting anyone in the back anyway, so I could cut off the front half of the cage and just leave a "half" cage, just depends what sort of work would be required to tidy it up.

Would definitely want some 15 or 16" Fuchs wheels to replace the current wheels. How are they going to go fitting over the 996 Brembo calipers?

Would also have to factor in some new seats and belts to replace the harnesses.

All starts to add up.

Archived