Considering a 85' Japanese 911 Carrera

Hi,

I am Considering buying a 85' Japanese, 911 Carrera, 3,2 Euro Spec. 70k on the clock. The car was delivered new in Japan and has some history there. It Appears good for its age however the interior is tired as expected. The air conditioner compressor has been removed, a nonstandard exhaust is fitted so is Porsche tea tray although it does appear to be a little bigger than what I recall it to be. Generally all seals including sunroof require replacing. Engine sounds good with no oil leaks

The car has been converted to RHD and been complianced before and after the conversion. Not sure if there is any other way of doing the conversion but he has replaced the whole front wall and it also appears to be a good conversion.Interior door cards haven't been replaced after the conversion as well so some work required there.

I have the car booked in with Don Munro in Brisbane next week for full PPI. The problem is that I have no clue as to what it is worth against an Australian RHD delivered car. He is looking for 37k. I have restored interiors in the past so not afraid to get stuck into it on my own

I would appreciate some feedback here as well as anything I should know before I dive into my first Porsche.

Thanks

Sashie

Whoever converted it has diminished it's future value that's for sure. A non-leaky engine isn't really a deal breaker (most leaks readily fixed) but a poor leakdown etc would be. Agree , 37k is a touch optimistic given the unknowns.

The old "australian delivered" debate starts again.

They were all made in the same factory.....so if you have good history from where it was delivered then who cares. The RHD conversion is what deteriorates the value from my perspective regardless of how good the job is.

While I agree the market is the market and there is no getting around it. An AUD car is always going to be worth more.

If there was no 30 year rule I've be looking for a left hook GT2.

While I agree the market is the market and there is no getting around it. An AUD car is always going to be worth more.

In Australia. perhaps. I would happily take LHD over RHD , even if it were more. In Australia , LHD is rare and therefore prestigious  :) And for older cars , better pedal ergonomics.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will certainly take that on board in my dealings with the buyer.

My understanding is that irrespective of it being a good conversion there is a significant devaluation. Couple that with it being an import then the car is not desirable and therefore should be relatively cheaper than that of Australian delivered cars. If this is the consensus then I am prompted to ask why do this and many other sellers ask for such high prices? It's a wonder the cars don't move.

I am a serious buyer and Australian delivered cars rarely come on to the market. I am not against a good converted car but want to get it at the right price so that I don't take the conversion devaluation hit when I become a seller.

Some original RHD cars are in such a poor condition it's unbelievable. There is currently a white RHD,SC, UK car for sale in Brisbane.Not sure if any of you have seen it but I walked away thanking my lucky stars.

Other than the popular websites which I trawl through each day, are there any 3.2's out there for sale at realistic market prices?

Keep an eye on the Porsche clubs in each state. Sometimes owners list there for a week or two before advertising on Carsales/eBay/Guntree etc.

Here is the link to PCNSW, there is a similar page for most states of Australia.

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/5D7E396D9E0BACACC125729100273F02

Good luck with your hunt.

If it were Aust delivered with only 70k as long as it was neat and original with no issues, it'd be worth more than $37k

Why are Aus del worth more?  because the market dictates it - simple.  We all know they are made side by side, but the mere fact collectors/owners/buyers desire the Aus del versions, then they will fetch more.  It also generally allows history to be  more easily verified and traced on Aus del....UK versions are more susceptible to rust...etc

If there was no 30 year rule I've be looking for a left hook GT2.

While there is a 30 year rule for LHD registration we are fast approaching the cutoff for any imports.

Unless the laws change in 2019 the last LHD imports will arrive. Any car after that won't be able to be imported unless it is a personal import - owned and used in the other country for 12 months. Regardless of the steering wheel side.

If it were Aust delivered with only 70k as long as it was neat and original with no issues, it'd be worth more than $37k

Why are Aus del worth more?  because the market dictates it - simple.  We all know they are made side by side, but the mere fact collectors/owners/buyers desire the Aus del versions, then they will fetch more.  It also generally allows history to be  more easily verified and traced on Aus del....UK versions are more susceptible to rust...etc

More history, less salt, less risk = higher value

Exceptions abound - unjustly imports and flagged AUD deliveries. But the market speaks.

While there is a 30 year rule for LHD registration we are fast approaching the cutoff for any imports.

Unless the laws change in 2019 the last LHD imports will arrive. Any car after that won't be able to be imported unless it is a personal import - owned and used in the other country for 12 months. Regardless of the steering wheel side.

Huh? 2019 law...naive me has not heard of this

Huh? 2019 law...naive me has not heard of this

Neither have I , just the usual http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx

More ref http://www.fpi.net.au/pages/cars.htm

Next year I will have 5 cars over 30 years  :) Maybe 4 , as the 924 is surplus to my needs , maybe I'll export it???

Neither have I , just the usual http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/imports/import_options/pre1989scheme.aspx

More ref http://www.fpi.net.au/pages/cars.htm

Next year I will have 5 cars over 30 years :) Maybe 4 , as the 924 is surplus to my needs , maybe I'll export it???

I thought the pre 1989 rule would continue into the 30 year + rule. So in 2022, a 31 year old car from 1991 could be imported.

Am I dreamin'?

Archived