How often have you heard the expression "They're the last of the real 911's" and wondered what does that mean? Unfortunately it is sometimes used to disparage the choices of others.

I guess that depends on what you believe to be the true essence of a 911.

If you think that a fun to drive, rear engined car that is fast in comparison to its contemporary alternatives is the "guts" of it all, then we haven't seen the last of the real ones.

Torpedo tube front mudguards? Then 964's were the last.

If it was that air cooled flat six, then 1997 was when its last breath was drawn.

Torsion bar suspension that can trace it way back to 1965? The G series is it.

How can we forget the turret? The beautiful shape of the side windows, the high brow of that bluff windscreen? Back to 993's again.

Whaletails anyone?

It's clear that this whole notion that there was a "last real 911" is a nonsense and there is no end to the "real" ones as we fortunately all have different preferences and tastes.

I guess the answer is that any model that you make excuses to drive nowhere in particular or even steal a look when nearby is a "real" one in my book.

While I agree, I can't help but thinking that the move from the 993 to the 996 was a greater transformation than any before or after - in terms of feel/character or whatever you'd like to call it.  I don't however consider a 996 any less desirable or fun than a 993 (clearly I'm in the minority in terms of market pricing) & they're both real 911's in my eyes - just as I'd consider the boxster a real Porsche (I've lost count of the amount of times now people have said 'at least it's a real porsche and not a boxster' or similar).  In fact, the boxster's charms are entirely growing on me.  I'm starting to see it as a new version of old school porsches - just enough power, nice balance, fun at all speeds, plenty of character...

Definitely there's no end to the perceived 'real' ones - I'm sure it will be a debate that simmers on forever.

Gav

996 mk1 GT3s and all of the GT2s do. At this stage it is probably impossible to buy a 996.1 GT3 that hasn't had an off, its just the degree of the paddock excursion that varies.

Interested as to what makes a 6.1 more prone to a spin!

Archived