BMW motorad

Guest Harold

Guest Harold

4 weeks ago I traded my 7 year old K1200GT (that's a motorbike for those that are wondering) on a brand new revised model called R1200RT. Nice bike, bit of vibration but all the bells and whistles for $32,500. Yesterday I received a call from BMW in Melbourne telling me not to ride it any more as there is a global recall. Apparently a pin has broken on two bikes in Europe that resulted in the chassis of the bike falling on the rear wheel. Not a big problem if you are doing 10 km/h but at 100 plus probably a little scary. Anyway, seems there are circa 60 bikes sold in this fair land. The new part is over 3 months away and I imagine by the time they fly it in a get around to fixing it, it will be at least 4 months. BMW was very flexible with how they were prepared to resolve the issue:

1. buy the bike back at full price

2. buy another model and if it is more expensive just pay a token amount, if cheaper then get a refund for the difference.

3. reverse the deal and take the trade in back

4. accept a very generous offer including a loan bike, $2k credit note at the dealer, extra year on the warranty and road side assist service, and "we will send your bike back when the fix has been competed".

I went for option 4 and I can't help but think if this had been another manufacturer all I would have received would be a letter saying not to ride and they would be in touch. Great work from BMW I think.

BMW have sold about 8000 globally and about 2000 are fitted with the computer controlled suspension which is fitted as standard in Oz.

Guest Harold

BMW called today to confirm they will give me a new K1600GT free of charge. That is simply amazing as it is a $12k more expensive bike with the options I have. I will never again say a bad word about BMW and its service.

Thats a good story. I am impressed.

I wish i felt as good with BMW at the moment, but I don't.

I have spent about $250,000 with them and they have made me feel like a piece of shit after giving them my money.

First purchased a new X5, was not painted properly and the front guards were a different colour to the rest of the car. After a ridiculous amount of bullshit, and stories, they finally agreed that the paint was not as it should be and 'helped' us into a second brand new one with decent paint, where they managed to sell a second new car and most likely still make another profit.

I then buy a new G650GS motorbike, after being assured that the recent sale price would never be repeated and was not available for the bike i wanted to buy, only to find 6 weeks later that low and behold the sale is back on and i have just bbq'd a chunk of my purchase price.

F**k BMW...

Rant over, and I wish Nissan made bikes (I am still lusting after, and will probably buy a S1000R)

Guest Harold

Thats a good story. I am impressed.

I wish i felt as good with BMW at the moment, but I don't.

I have spent about $250,000 with them and they have made me feel like a piece of shit after giving them my money.

First purchased a new X5, was not painted properly and the front guards were a different colour to the rest of the car. After a ridiculous amount of bullshit, and stories, they finally agreed that the paint was not as it should be and 'helped' us into a second brand new one with decent paint, where they managed to sell a second new car and most likely still make another profit.

I then buy a new G650GS motorbike, after being assured that the recent sale price would never be repeated and was not available for the bike i wanted to buy, only to find 6 weeks later that low and behold the sale is back on and i have just bbq'd a chunk of my purchase price.

F**k BMW...

Rant over, and I wish Nissan made bikes (I am still lusting after, and will probably buy a S1000R)

That is a dreadful story and I am gob smacked that you have not as yet taken them to court. Sorry you have had such an array of problems. I have had two bmw cars, I bought the (then) new V8 3.5 litre 535! and a 330 convertible when they first came out. They seemed like reasonable cars although I didn't keep either more than 12 months.

Archived