944, 928, front mount motors

raafrebel

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a front mount porsche to add to my garage. I already own a 911 996 (love it).

I dont know too much about the front mount engine cars, are they good? Fast? handle?

seeing that you seen to be able to buy one for well under 20k for a good one, what ones are better? V8s? 4 cyl turbo?

Just a small bit of advice would be appreciated. I think it would make a great second car or even turn it into a track car

dan

The type 944 and type 928 handle extremely well , especially the 928 with its self steering rear axle. 944s are lighter and more agile. 944 turbos go like stabbed rats. The 928 was not developed for motorsport hence it has a weakness (oil starved bearings on long track sweepers), so unless you do the mods you are likely going to be in a sad place sooner rather than later.. Both cars can cost plenty to maintain , depending upon what has been done and what you can do yourself.

Talk to Bruce & Sean Buchanan at  Buchanan automotive. 

A normally aspirated 944 makes for an excellent autocross car. You can chuck these things at 90 degree turns without drama!

I clicked this post thinking you needed engine mounts. 

Call these cars "front engine"

Anyway, the 928 is a GT car. some track them but they're not made for it.

The 944s are amazingly good cars. Very under rated. also looked down upon, but be warned. They cost the same to maintain as any porsche. 

A well setup 944 turbo can keep up with 996 gt3rs's on the track. well set up means suspension upgrades and simple engine mods. (maf wastegate ect)

Pauly - I too thought this thread was about engine mounts initially haha.

Raafrebel - If you don't mind doing a bit of reading to get to know the 944 models then I'd highly recommend having a browse of Clark's Garage.  He has a wealth of info on these cars. :)

http://www.clarks-garage.com/ 

Pauly - I too thought this thread was about engine mounts initially haha.

Raafrebel - If you don't mind doing a bit of reading to get to know the 944 models then I'd highly recommend having a browse of Clark's Garage.  He has a wealth of info on these cars. :)

http://www.clarks-garage.com/ 

If he want's to spend to much money i suggest looking at my thread on rennlist ;)

If he has won the lotto , he can explore the wonders of racing a 928

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-928-Pikes-Porsche/dp/1434372936

But seriously , the 928 is highly underrated. It's just if the engine goes bang , it's double a 944 cost to fix. And the underpinnings are pretty hefty too.

But with a 6+ litre stroker build , twin turbo or supercharger you can take on just about anything...in a car at least 20 years old.

The 944 is seriously undervalued too...

But as they keep shunting them in the Oz challenge series and Targa Tas , the value will only increase.

And my bought for just 2k :) completely original '85 will be worth a "mint".

Depends what the OP is after.

If he want's to spend under 20k he could get a standard n/a 2.5L, remove things you can live with out, add some bucket seats, suspension like bilstein or koni or KW coilovers. Get some more rubber on it so some wheels and tyres. all the PCD is 5x130.

Get the Rogue n/a tune, pared with a 944 turbo catback (bolt on) and you'll have a great zippy auto-x car or something to attack the hills with. 

Haha, engine mounts, sorry!!

Thanks for the info, I will do some more research. ther are way cheaper to buy than a 911, but i did also asume that the running costs are the same, and when buying one, you get what u pay for.

So, I wont be buying the 928 thats on ebay for $2500!!

when the time comes, i am happy to spend 20 k or so on a nice car, some of the ones ive seen on this forum are VERY nice and well sorted cars.

hmmm, V8 or turbo 4.....

I suppose you won't modify it to much, With a turbo, you can get 280 rwhp with the following:

- Rogue M-tune (or even A-tune which is cheaper and keeps the engine looking stock) $300-$1200

- 3" exhaust (don't have to) what ever your exhaust shop charges and +2 mufflers $1000 ~ $1500

- Dual port wastegate + boost controller (also benefit of spooling quicker) $500

I had similar mods just still had the factory exhaust with no cat. It was very quick for what it was. 

So, I wont be buying the 928 thats on ebay for $2500!!

You could , and regale us with horror stories for the next 2 years  :P

Old 911s are "all $40,000 cars" ; I would add old 928s are "all $20,000 cars"  to get a good one , sorted.

The extra $20,000 in a 911 is like the "million $ view" - not inherently better than a 928 , but you pay for that view.

And of course a 911 doesn't have timing belts and water pumps/hoses to worry about in the long term.

You could , and regale us with horror stories for the next 2 years  :P

Old 911s are "all $40,000 cars" ; I would add old 928s are "all $20,000 cars"  to get a good one , sorted.

The extra $20,000 in a 911 is like the "million $ view" - not inherently better than a 928 , but you pay for that view.

And of course a 911 doesn't have timing belts and water pumps/hoses to worry about in the long term.

You have to agree that a stripped out 924s with a 968 running gear would be the funnest thing to drive!!!

Even my rare unmolested 2L na 924 is a fun thing to drive. I have to sell it (space considerations) but I'll be sorry to see it go.

A lightened turbo 924 (not S) would be a hoot to own. Not many left , as boy racers have eaten them and stripped the flesh off the bones.

Even my rare unmolested 2L na 924 is a fun thing to drive. I have to sell it (space considerations) but I'll be sorry to see it go.

A lightened turbo 924 (not S) would be a hoot to own. Not many left , as boy racers have eaten them and stripped the flesh off the bones.

They're distorted because kids don't know how to maintain those engines!

My dad has a 1981 924 with the 5 stud ect ect. it needs to be re-sprayed and some work done to the engine. i have another 2L on an engine stand. I want to boost it and use a standalone on it. 

If he has won the lotto , he can explore the wonders of racing a 928

http://www.amazon.com/Peak-928-Pikes-Porsche/dp/1434372936

But seriously , the 928 is highly underrated. It's just if the engine goes bang , it's double a 944 cost to fix. And the underpinnings are pretty hefty too.

But with a 6+ litre stroker build , twin turbo or supercharger you can take on just about anything...in a car at least 20 years old.

Tazz - Your comment got me thinking about this 928 I spotted on Carsales the other day.  5L supercharged and 500hp.  Would be fun I bet!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1988/SSE-AD-2635996/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1 

Tazz - Your comment got me thinking about this 928 I spotted on Carsales the other day.  5L supercharged and 500hp.  Would be fun I bet!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-928-1988/SSE-AD-2635996/?Cr=9&sdmvc=1 

Yep you could do languid racing to cool 70s Jeff beck music , e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQ4RcywK0o#t=102

Not sure what I'd buy. Perhaps a little bit of sanity back? Tbh $100k would be well under .50c in the dollar spent so it's a lose-lose for me but everything is for sale yet it's only worth as much as someone else is prepared to pay for it. About to get a new intake system so the power will go up again. We're a strong chance of winning the Open class at World Time Attack 2014 but once that is over who knows what's in store. 

Not sure what I'd buy. Perhaps a little bit of sanity back? Tbh $100k would be well under .50c in the dollar spent so it's a lose-lose for me but everything is for sale yet it's only worth as much as someone else is prepared to pay for it. About to get a new intake system so the power will go up again. We're a strong chance of winning the Open class at World Time Attack 2014 but once that is over who knows what's in store. 

You cannot be serious you're going to sell it?

Archived