Help identify these factory spring plate markings

ozracer

Hi all just about to change over my spring plate bushings on my 84 Carrera 3.2 and my mechanic lent me a set of spring plates to minimise down time. However when I cleaned up the the loaned spring plates with a wire brush I realised one hub has an A engraved or marked on it and the other one has an E engraved in it.  See pictures below.  I suspect they came from different cars as one had a rubber bushing the other had a poly bushing however they look identical to my spring plates.  

To confuse things when I checked the spring plate hubs on my car both of mine are marked with a B.

Does anyone know what the letter designations stand for as now I will probably end up keeping my originals as they may be specific to my car.  I'm told they are from a 3.2 and they look identical to what i have.  I asked my mechanic he is not sure what they mean.

Any help most appreciated 

Regards,

Adam

photo11_zps3f8a5c48.jpg

photo30_zpsd72284f1.jpg

I used to work for a German manufacturer, they designated the smallest change to a part with alphabetical markings. So maybe A is the second "version" after blank which would be the first etc etc

Nice one steve that could be it however are the spring plates the same between the SC and Carrera I have a very early 84 carrera which was produced in september 83 I would have thought mine would have started with an A if that was the case.

Nice find tassie I have been googling images as well that makes A B E and N or M interesting

All adj plates - 77? onwards and up to the swap over to G50 are same same...perhaps the numbering is to do with production batch??? day week month

PS there is discussion around embrittlement caused by plating and the need to post treat to relieve stress.

but what do the letters mean!

ABEINM

EBINMA

NIMAEB

it's a conspiracy!

Either that or it's just a production marking - I'm pretty sure '77 inwards are interchangeable so I'd just swap them over

Actually the markings are assembly guides whereby if you can't see them when the car is fully assembled, the suspension will not function.

Yes, yes I'm joking but it is true...

Archived