Deep whining noise

Simonk

Hey all.

I'm trying to track down a whining noise coming from the rear when I first start the car in the morning. It only lasts for about a minute and I suspect it's a bearing either in the AC compressor or the fan/alternator. I know it's safe to remove the belt to the fan and run it for 10-15 seconds to confirm if its the fan bearing but I was wondering if its ok to remove the AC belt. Does anything else need to be disconnected if I remove the AC belt?

Have you checked your wife is not in the back, I sometimes get the whining noise from the passenger seat, sounds something like" your driving too fast" or " your too close to the car in front" .

Have you checked your wife is not in the back, I sometimes get the whining noise from the passenger seat, sounds something like" your driving too fast" or " your too close to the car in front" .

Nah, I've checked that already. This is a deeper whine, more like a growling dog.

Nah, I've checked that already. This is a deeper whine, more like a growling dog.

I think Airhead has diagnosed it correctly, not the wife as first suspected, it's the mother in law!

Archived